5 Tips for Surviving Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

1. Study while you can

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Dead week is coming up so take advantage of the fact that the social scene is pretty much dead and study like everyone else who went to college for an education. Even if you do hear about a party, resist the temptation to join by reminding yourself how happy you’ll be when you ace your final. Seriously, you’ll thank yourself later.

2. Get enough sleep

You know that feeling when you stay up too late and in the morning your brain just doesn’t seem to work quite right? You don’t want to feel that way for your 8:30 final. You’ll be better off going to bed early than cramming last-minute with information your sleep deprived brain won’t even remember. Biological needs come first.

3. Exercise

If you have time, go on a walk or run the morning before your test. If you don’t have time, make time. Studies have shown that exercise can make you feel more awake and think more clearly. Exercise can also help significantly with stress management.

4. Manage stress

Speaking of which, stress management is very important during finals week. And no I don’t mean downing an entire tub of ice cream while watching chick flicks. You’re not going to test well if you’re pulling your hair out all week. Remember to treat yourself and take some study breaks to meditate (sitting and thinking about nothing is actually a great destresser), nap, dance, talk to friends, or do whatever else you do to relax.

5. Remind yourself that everything will be okay

Your final grade does not determine the outcome of your life and even failing is okay. You’ll survive. You’ll learn from it. You’ll do better next time. That said, don’t use this mindset as an excuse not to study. Focus on the bigger picture of your long term career goals and motivate yourself by thinking about where you want to be ten or twenty years from now. Good luck on your finals!