Career

4 Things to Consider When Choosing a College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Spring is an important time for high school and transfer students. College decisions start rolling in and suddenly the stress of being accepted washes away, to be quickly replaced by the weight of making a gigantic decision. Sometimes it’s difficult to know where to start. There are a few factors that help with decision making and they are definitely worth the time it takes to research them. From the perspective of a current college student, these are some of the most important factors for choosing a college.

School Size

This may seem irrelevant compared to the quality of education and opportunities a school can offer, but it will be an integral part of student life. A big school is a wealth of new people and new opportunities but may have limited space in majors, and the opposite may hold true at a small school, for example. The pros and cons of each are a deeply personal preference and is a factor that should not be ignored. 

Major Requirements

Some majors have many prerequisites and have little room for schedule variations, while some are more lax. The former can complicate changing a major or studying abroad, and the latter leaves more room for fun classes or double majors/minors. It’s important to choose a major that is both intellectually enjoyable and suits your needs for happiness in college.

Gut feeling 

Never underestimate the power of instinct. You know yourself better than anyone else ever can, even on a subconcious level.

Cost

The cost of college tuition has been creeping upward every year. It’s important to also factor in housing, dining, eating out, shopping, and insurance costs, in addition to tuition. College tends to cost a bit higher than many estimate.

Simone Anguera

Washington '23

Simone Anguera is a first year student at the University of Washington. She enjoys health, fashion, fragrances, books, animals, and the outdoors.