This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

It’s midterm season, which means that stress is abundant, and time is slipping away. Personally, I only have one class with midterms in it, but no matter how many techniques I try, I find myself having lots of homework, and not enough time to finish it all. Over the years, I’ve tried several methods of time management, including the Pomodoro technique, and even listening to classical music while I work. With many rounds of trial and error, here are the 5 most effective time management tips that I’ve found:

1. Time Yourself!

I’ve found that when I have too many tasks on my to-do list and seemingly not enough time to complete them all, I like to make a schedule for myself with a time block for each task. I set a timer and knowing that the timer is running and that I must complete the task in the allotted time allows me to work more efficiently. I highly recommend doing this if you aren’t already, because it has really helped me over the years.

2. Prioritize!

I know this is a generic one; you probably hear this all the time when it comes to time management, but if you want to take one tip from this article, prioritization is probably the best one. In my planner, when listing out my tasks, I put the three most important tasks at the top and highlight them. This way, I know exactly what I must get done that day, and even if I don’t finish everything on my to do list, I make sure to finish these three tasks.

3. Put Away All Distractions!

Yes, this is a hard one, and it’s also overstated way too much, but putting away all distractions is really the only way to get focused and finish your work effectively. I like to put my phone on do not disturb and keep it far away, so I’m not tempted to reach for it. In between tasks, I allow myself to take a 5-10-minute break during which I can check my phone. I admit, I’m not the best at this, but I’m trying to get better, because I find that my focus and productivity increases when I put my phone away.

4. Sleep!

Probably the hardest in the list for college students, but also one of the most effective: getting a good night’s sleep. If I don’t get enough sleep the night before, I’m usually very unproductive the next day; I’m less focused, and take more time to finish a task that, ideally, shouldn’t take that long. Getting enough sleep ensures that your brain is rested and ready to work during the day; it’s scientifically proven that you’re more productive and focused when you’re well rested.

These are just four tips that I’ve found helpful when it comes to time management, and I hope they help you. Good luck studying!

Vandhana Manoj

Washington '23

Vandhana is a freshman at the University of Washington studying Engineering. In her spare time, she enjoys writing for HerCampus, listening to music, and bullet journaling.