Trader Joe'S
Trader Joe'S
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

12 Days of Trader Joe’s: Holiday Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

At this point in my life, I feel that I can claim my status as a Trader Joe’s aficionado. I have worked for this company since the end of my sophomore year in high school. Almost four years and two stores later, I am still here. And therefore, I am qualified to write this article: the twelve best Trader Joe’s seasonal products, and your countdown for all things TJ’s this holiday season. Forewarning, Trader Joe’s is notorious for releasing the themed items before the actual holiday, so most of the time, our products will be sold out at least a week before you anticipate them to be off the shelves. Moral of the story here is that when you see your favorite candle or cookie – load up! Because it might not be there next time you are shopping.

12. Chocolate Advent calendars – Whether or not you celebrate Christmas, these festive and creative Advent calendars are a great reason to incorporate a bite of chocolate into your diet. These definitely will sell out prior to December 1st; when you see it in store, be sure to grab some for you and your roommates!

11. Mini gingerbread people – In high school, I brought these to my English final, with the prior knowledge that my AP English Language teacher buys the boxes in bulk. There may or may not be a correlation between this fact and my grade that semester.  

10. Candle tin trio – If you forget that you have a Secret Santa or random class holiday party, this is the perfect gift for the person you know but you don’t really know. In scents of nutmeg, fresh currant, and cranberry pine, this is also a wonderful buy to treat yo-self to a warm and comforting aroma.  

9. Candy cane tea – I bought sixteen boxes last year. That’s all you need to know.

8. Mini peppermint meringues  – Light and airy and not-too-pepperminty. I saw a TikTok where someone was putting these meringues in their coffee, and I think that’s a hack I might try this upcoming December.

7. Beyond your basic seasoning blend set – For that 20-something cousin who needs to up their spice game when they bring another dish to the next family dinner. Last year’s highlighted seasonings were spicy Italian style sprinkle, cocoa cinnamon sugar blend, everything but the elote, chile lime, and everything but the bagel, if this suits your fancy. 

6. Peppermint hand soap – Mom’s stocking stuffer end game.

5. Candy cane Joe-Joe’s ice cream – I am dairy intolerant, but I sacrifice my stomach for this one. Also, I anticipate Trader Joe’s releasing some non-dairy holiday ice creams this season, given the trend of new oat desserts the past few holidays.  Regardless, the traditional candy cane ice cream would be extra delicious with chocolate syrup or crushed peppermint pretzels on top… Speaking of….

4. Peppermint pretzels slims – Unreal. Hands down my favorite salty-sweet holiday snack Trader Joe’s sells.  My only complaint is that the bag is an illusion of how many pretzels are actually in there. I guess that’s what keeps customers like me coming back though.

3. 12 Days of Beauty – I will admit – I have never actually bought this item. Nonetheless, working at the register proves to me how many people stock up on the body butters, lip masks, scrub cubes, and other fun goodies that this box holds. The overall customer review: well worth the price.  

Drumroll please for the final two.

2. Dark chocolate covered peppermint Joe-Joe’s.  I told my fellow Trader Joe’s obsessed roommates that I was writing this article, and the first product the four girls unanimously shouted were these delectable, minty cookies. If TJ’s would sell any item year-long, this should be the one. When you have that sugar craving, these chocolate-y delights hit the spot every single time.

1. Jingle Jangle – “Maggie, we have a party at so-and-so’s house tonight.” This one comment from my mom implies that I will indeed be shopping at work that night and will also be picking up Jingle Jangle. This indescribable tin of chocolate things and assortment of broken cookies is marketing ingenuity. If you choose to share in the joy that is Jingle Jangle (which I don’t think should be shareable), you will find that certain people gravitate towards picking out the chocolate covered pretzels or popcorn or peanut butter cups. 100% eye-opening to your peers, 100% delicious.

Happy Trader Joe’s holidays from your resident Crew Member. It is never too early to start strategizing your grocery shopping plan for this season.

Maggie is a junior at the University of Washington from San Francisco, California. She is majoring in Public Health - Global Health, and doubling minoring in Data Science and Nutrition. Maggie is a tour guide for UW and the social media coordinator for the Food Pantry. She is super excited to continuing on this project as a writer for Her Campus this year, and be able to share her writing pieces with other like-minded women!