This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Over winter break while my sister was tirelessly working during her first week back at high school, I was pleasantly bored, enjoying the calm before the storm (frigid cold winter storm) of second semester classes at WashU. During this calm, ignorant bliss, I decided, as an afterthought, to watch an old BBC Titanic miniseries, which turned out to be extremely interesting and heartbreaking and better than the DiCaprio Titanic.

After absolutely loving this series, I turned to the same creator, Julian Fellowes, and started the first season of Downton Abbey. I was not disappointed. I was hooked by the first episode, and I’ve been watching it whenever I can. If you’re looking for something to watch in between studying (yes, you should stop studying for just a bit once in awhile), then Downton Abbey is my number one recommendation. Here are some reasons why you should watch it.

• The multitude of characters in this show means that you won’t be bored by the same people in the same storylines over and over. The cast is giant, and all of their lives intertwine under the roof of the same house, whether they are downstairs in the servants’ quarters or being served in the dining room. Some characters I find to be despicable lizards, and others are fierce goddesses.

• Every episode is full of twists. People are not what they seem! It’s like a fancy mystery story set in a grand English castle. As you go on in the seasons, I expect you start to be able to sense Fellowes’ tricks and hints, but that just adds to the intrigue. Fellowes loves to have time shifts in between episodes, sometimes skipping months and months, which keeps the pacing up.

• My emotions! This show is so emotional. I have gotten up out of my seat multiple times, screaming at the television in agony, joy, and rage. Please get hooked on this show, the feelings are worth it! Totally worth it!!

• The episodes frequently end with cliffhangers, which is not entirely conducive to a “study break” sort of show, but is to your interest! Every episode furthers so many storylines with so many different characters, all of them will lead you wanting more.

• There is going to be a Downton Abbey movie coming out this September! Watch the show before going to see the next installment in theaters.

I hope this has enticed you to start watching this wonderful show about an aristocratic family and the servants who live at Downton Abbey. But don’t look ahead for spoilers, they are everywhere!

Brianna Hines is a junior at Washington University in St. Louis, majoring in English with a concentration in Creative Writing and minoring in Marketing.
Wash U class of 2021; Majoring in Psychological and Brain Sciences with minors in Art History and Communication Design.