Trends to Try This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Runway trends can often be a bit intimidating and pretty unpractical, but it’s easy to draw inspiration from the fall trends and make these expensive looks into your own.  This week is really starting to feel like fall at Wash U, and whether you’re groaning at the cold or excited for the crisp leaves to start falling, you better embrace the wardrobe changes!  Here are some ideas to really start getting into the season.

Hats: Some of the hats debuted in shows this season were a little bit over the top, but the sentiment came across clearly: hats are definitely a do this fall.  Knit beanies are both stylish, comfortable, and are great for a bad hair day!  If the full-out hat look is too much for you, try a stylish, over-the-ears thick headband.

Urban Outfitters, $19

Nasty Gal, $30

Layering: This trend is a perfect fit for the temperamental St. Louis weather.  You never know when we’re going to be graced with a random, warm summer-like day! Don’t be afraid to pile on a few different pieces, both for warmth and for style.  Whether you pair a tank with a plaid button down and a jean jacket thrown on top or combine a sweater with a vest, layering is a must.

Graphic sweaters: This look is so fun, but also perfect for when you’re feeling lazy!  Go for big and bulky—perfect to go with a pair of leggings and boots.  Popular designs include big bold phrases, cool graphics, and tributes to awesome bands or artists.  This is a great way to experiment while still being able to leave the house in a big comfy sweatshirt

Urban Outfitters, $39