This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Typically, Thanksgiving is a time for family to come together to give thanks. This year, however, many college students were faced with the decision of either going home for the holidays and staying there through winter break or spending Thanksgiving on campus.

When I decided to stay on campus this semester, it didn’t hit me until Thanksgiving day: this was the first time I – and many others – would be away from our families during the holiday. Even after being away from home for 12 weeks now, the thought was strange. Under normal circumstances, many of us would have gone home to relatives and immediate family members to celebrate. Now, most of us won’t be seeing them until later this year.

My friends and I realized how grateful we were for everyone in our lives. Our school and our friends (essentially our new family!) have all made this unprecedented and unpredictable year more than bearable. Even despite the given circumstances, this has been a good first semester, and I couldn’t be more thankful for everyone who made it so.

I hope that everyone had a safe and lovely Thanksgiving and that this crazy time will be behind us soon

Freshman at WashU interested in English and Business.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.