Surviving Spring Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

No one likes finals. That’s a fact. Another fact is that they’re not going anywhere any time soon. So since there’s nothing we can do about it, here is the exclusive list you’ve been looking for: the top ten ways to survive finals week in style. Yes, you heard me, I’m saying it’s possible to make it out of finals without those dark, baggy circles under your eyes andbe ready as ever for summer.

1. Early Bird Gets the Library
Start your day bright and early! Try waking up around 8:30am. Trust me: I know it sounds crazy, as your classes probably don’t start till 11am most days. But it’s proven that students think harder and work more efficiently in the morning. And perhaps more importantly, finals at WUSTL are absolutely crazy, so everyone scrambles for one of the coveted seats on the second or third floor of Olin Library. Getting up early will allow you to snag your seat and get even more work done.

2. Brunch is Key
Go out for brunch! Every couple days, you deserve a break and a full breakfast. Take some friends, sit outside, enjoy the sun, and grab a healthy brunch before slaving away all day. Some scrumptious suggestions no further than two or three miles from school: Half and Half, Companion, First Watch, Winslow’s Home and Stratton’s.

3.  Compose a Calendar
Most crucial but most forgotten: be organized! Plan each day with time to study and time to play. Give yourself something to do before lunch, a few things to do after lunch, and make fun dinner plans with friends.  Definitely schedule up your days so you can leave the night to kick back and relax.

4. Sweet Dreams
Didn’t your mamma tell you that if you’re sleeping well, you’re studying well? While you might think you study perfectly after inhaling four large coffees to stay up all night, facts are that you study your best when you’ve had a good night’s sleep. So, wake up early and go to sleep at a reasonable hour! Even though studies suggest the average college student only needs seven hours, eight or nine are what you need.

5. YOLO
You know what they say: you only live once. While this can be applied to schoolwork, it should also be applied to your free time! Make sure you leave yourself time to go out and enjoy the last few days at WUSTL before everyone disperses for separate summers.

6. Serious Snacks
There’s just something about studying that makes you hungry. Well, maybe not actually hungry, just bored and wanting to eat. And there’s nothing wrong with that. Lucky for us, there are plenty of healthy and hearty snacks that promise to enhance your studying and satisfy your tummy.

1. Dark Chocolate: Hits the sweet spot and has tons of healthy antioxidants.
  2. Almonds: Roasted almonds are the perfect source of both protein and fiber.
  3. Edamame: Soybeans are a complete supply of protein and taste absolutely delicious.
  4. Pickles: If you crave salt like I do, a couple pickles are a healthy, lower calorie crunch.
  5. Cherries: They’re fun to eat, reminiscent of summer, and taste like the fatty candy you thought you wanted.
  6. Tomatoes:Tomatoes are packed with lycopene and so many other vitamins.

7. Study Buddies
You never know which days you dozed off in that unnamed class that you thought would never end. Get together with people in your class to compare notes and swap study sheets. One of two things will happen:
a. If they’re dumber than you: you teach them and it’s great practice.
b. If they’re smarter than you: they teach you and you don’t fail.
It’s a win-win and you might make a couple new friends!

8. Work Outside
One of the things that sucks most about finals is being cooped up inside the dark library when all you want to do is play in the gorgeous weather outside. There is a compromise. Grab the book that you are two hundred pages behind in, a highlighter, and your sunglasses and head outside. Reading outside is relaxing, everyone needs some Vitamin D and if you’re lucky, you’ll even catch a tan.

9. Grab Some Groceries
Before finals start, it’s important to stock up on groceries! It’s always nice to have some of your favorite foods nearby in case you run out of meal points or suddenly cant stand the food on campus.

10. Work Out
Everyone knows that working out gets your endorphins pumping and endorphins make you happy. It’s a biological fact, so find time during reading week to move around. Go for a run, ride a bike, or try the hot yoga class you heard about. Working out is also a nice way to break up your studying schedule.