Six Ways to Revive Your Reading Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Though you may feel like you need to spend every moment of reading week in the library, I am of the mindset that it is important to intersperse studying with stress-relieving activities. It is finally beautiful outside – besides the occasional tornado – and most of us will only be able to enjoy St. Louis for a few more short weeks before summer vacation. Taking a brief break once in a while will only improve your focus and your spirit, and you will work more diligently if you know that a fun reward awaits you in just a couple of hours. Here are six activities that every collegiette should make time for during reading week.

1.     Soulard Farmers Market– This open-air market is open Wednesday–Saturday and offers plenty of locally grown and affordable produce, meats, cheeses, baked goods and delicious cider. Even if you don’t buy anything – although you would be crazy not to try the mini donuts – walking around in the sunshine and enjoying the charm of Soulard will be a nice vacation from the dungeon of the B-stacks.
2.     Manicure/Pedicure – Because it is sandal season, after all. Though there are plenty of nail salons within walking distance of campus, all you need is a good nail file and topcoat to make this a DIY activity. The whole world looks better when your fingers and toes make a statement. 

3.     Cardinals game – Single game tickets are now available, and can be as cheap as $5.00 if you don’t mind sitting in the terrace. What better way to enjoy a sunny afternoon than with a hotdog and some peanuts at a baseball game? And with tickets that affordable, you won’t feel pressured to stay until the very end if the game goes into extra innings.
4.     Outside Lunch– There is something so summery about eating lunch outside. Whether it is sitting outside the DUC or somewhere on DeMun Avenue (only a three minute drive from campus with several great restaurants – Jimmy’s On The Park, Sasha’s Wine Bar, DeMun Oyster Bar), you deserve some vitamin D before finals and packing consume all the daylight hours.
5.     Take a new workout class – Studying is a largely sedentary activity, and sometimes a bit of sweat and exercise can really help clear your mind. Not only will exercise energize you, but it will also help lower your blood pressure and reduce stress. The South Forty Fitness Center offers several classes each day, so you can pick and choose depending on when you have time to work out.
6.     Picnic on Art Hill – A picnic may sound labor intensive, but it can be as easy as bringing a blanket along with a sandwich from the DUC and relaxing for an hour in the sunshine. Just be careful not to get a sunglasses tan.  

Rosa Heyman is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis studying Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies and Writing. She has worked as an editorial intern at Black Book Magazine in NYC and St. Louis Magazine, and for the web editor at Redbook Magazine in NYC. A Rhode Island native, Rosa likes reading, writing, Kate Moss, The New York Times' Modern Love columns, Paolo Pellegrin photography, and roller coasters.