Culture > News

Operation Varsity Blues: What I Learned From the College Admissions Scandal Documentary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Netflix has recently released a new documentary on the college admissions scandal that rocked the nation in 2019. Dubbed “Operation Varsity Blues,” over 50 high profile parents were accused of bribing undergraduate admissions at top tier universities to secure their child a spot at the school. The documentary “Operation Varsity Blues: The College Admissions Scandal,” tells the story of the criminal conspiracy using reenactments of real conversations between Rick Singer, the mastermind behind the scandal, and the rich and famous families. The film exposed the methods Singer used, including photoshopping children onto photos of other athletes and having a proctor retake their tests, as well as the extent the parents were willing to go, both morally and financially, to get their children into some of the top universities in the country.

However, the documentary revealed much more about the college admissions process than just the scandal that occurred. Rather, it put into perspective the inequity of the admissions process and the egregious advantage wealthy students and families have over those less fortunate. When walking through the different ways Rick Singer swindled students into college, analysts drew parallels between his actions and those of typical upper class and upper middle class families. Although many WashU students likely had this luxury, tutors for standardized tests and college counselors are not very popular outside of the upper class bubble. Why is this the case? Tutors and counselors, especially good ones, can end up being incredibly expensive, with hourly rates maxing out over a thousand dollars. Legacies and donations can ultimately help students get into college as well, but to have a legacy at a university implies generational wealth that has allowed older family members to attend college, and donations are only “effective” if they’re in the tens of millions of dollars. 

“Operation Varsity Blues: The College Admissions Scandal” revealed the lengths the top 1% went to in order to get their children into top tier universities, but it also explained the difference, on a less extreme level, between those with and without the money to spend on resources that will help their child get into college. The documentary showed that reform is necessary to make the college process an equitable one, and as students receiving an education at an extraordinary university, I believe we have the obligation to reflect on our college admissions experience, and perhaps help facilitate changes in higher education.

Anna Glashow

Wash U '24

Anna is a freshman at Washington University in St. Louis interested in studying neuroscience and political science.
breakfast & poetry enthusiast