This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

With the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic last March, universities across the country have shifted to a virtual learning format: Students now open their computers and log onto an online Zoom meeting instead of walking through the door of their lecture hall. While bumpy at first, school taking place over video interactions and submitted canvas assignments has become a relatively streamlined process that college students can now handle with ease. Today, with the prospect of a vaccine and the subsequent loosening of lockdown restrictions, the question is raised on how we will shift back to in-person schooling. And, furthermore, are some components of virtual learning here to stay?

One aspect of online school that can be extremely beneficial is pre-recorded lecture videos. Especially for introductory classes in which there is an abundance of sheer information and facts that must be crammed into one’s head. The ability to watch a lecture video beforehand allows a student to rewind if they missed a key fact or watch at a faster speed if they feel comfortable with the content. Even more, students can come to in-person class with substantial and thoughtful questions because they already had a grasp of the material.

Beyond classwork, completing assessments online is also a worthwhile component of online school. Many online exams are both open note and of a more open-ended nature. Since cheating is much harder to catch in a virtual environment, exams have been modified to showcase not what students can memorize but what information they can apply already having baseline information at their fingertips. This is a much more accurate and meaningful depiction of students’ learning and can elevate one’s educational experience beyond rote memorization.

Finally, the most decisive thing virtual learning has taught us is that there is always an option for students to make up work if they can’t attend class in-person. I know, many students get despondent at the thought of no more snow days. Still, the idea that there is always a way for students to make up classes by attending through a virtual mechanism or watching a recording of the class afterward is very beneficial. Whether a student is in another time zone or sick at home with a cold, they will not be at a disadvantage in their schooling.

I know I am extremely excited at the thought of walking into a bustling classroom, with students chatting, working, and collaborating. Still, if there is one thing this pandemic has taught us, it is that colleges can make needed adjustments through online spaces that can be advantageous. A hybrid approach to learning may be the most equitable and rational way for higher education to be administered to all.

Lily Gordon

Wash U '24

Washu freshman, singer, animal lover, and chocolate addict.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.