Miss Americana: Why Taylor Swift’s Documentary Has Made Me Fall Even Harder for Her

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

With her new album, Lover, debut in the movie Cats, recently released song “Only the Young”, and now her documentary on Netflix, Swift has had no shortage of content and new ideas after turning 30. If anything, she has become more imaginative and confidently herself than ever. My obsession with her continues to grow, and her documentary has given me even more reason to love her. 

The film covers everything from politics, grappling with her weight and image in the spotlight, her sexual assault case, being a woman in the music industry, among a myriad of other subjects. Throughout, she is honest and covers some of her hardest, most personal times. She offers us a look into her life that few get to see, sharing the multifaceted, complicated version of herself that despite all of the press that tries to dehumanize her is human. Her vulnerability is impressive, and even more impressive is her ability to remain resilient. 

Along with the heavier, more vulnerable moments, we also see the light-hearted parts of her life. Swift’s best friend, Abigail makes an appearance, as well as her mom, and even her boyfriend Joe Alwyn. 

If you remember nothing else, why I believe this documentary is so compelling is due to one word: fearlessness. Swift is fearless in the way she tackles music, fearless in the way she opens up about her struggles with self-esteem, and fearless in the way she talks about her life in the spotlight; but, she admits that it took some time and growing up. 

So, take that one hour and twenty-five minutes out of your day to watch Miss Americana, and I promise Miss Swift will not disappoint. 

We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.