Karna Chakraborty (2013) and Nabi Chaudhri-Martinez (2013)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

This week we have not one, but TWO campus cuties. So, what do they have in common? For starters, they’re both seniors in Kappa Sigma, but more importantly they’re the eye candy—I mean uh…writers/star and director—of this year’s Diwali skit. Together they make an unstoppable team that can accomplish anything. Well…almost anything. Nabi still hasn’t mastered the art of human flight, and if you need someone to open something for you, like a jar of mayo, then KC isn’t your guy. All I’m saying is when the flight attendant asks him if he’s willing and able to help passengers exit the aircraft in case of emergency, he should really say no. But if you’re looking for a bromance that’ll brighten your day, you’ve come to the right place.

Hometowns:
KC: Los Angeles, CA
Nabi: Well I was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico, but I grew up in Karachi, Pakistan.
Majors:
KC: Healthcare Management and Anthropology
Nabi: Pre-Med (Anthropology and Spanish Double Major), Biology Minor
What’s your involvement in Diwali?
Nabi: I write and star in the skit—
KC: And I write and direct. Like a boss. Can you put that part in?
What can you tell us about the show?
Nabi: Have you seen How I Met Your Mother? It’s How I Met Your Auntie.
What’s your favorite part about Diwali?
KC: Skit. Obviously.
Nabi: Diwali after party. Actually, Asoka Formal.
KC: Yeah, Asoka Formal.
Nabi: There’s something about joining a club and working with friends. And after it all comes together, you really get to celebrate.
KC: Yeah, it’s the sense of accomplishment.
Any pre-show rituals?
KC: I DON’T HAVE A PRE-SHOW RITUAL
Nabi: Have you ever seen 8 Mile?
KC: Shut up!
Nabi: KC was an essential part of the skit last year… So one day I walk into the dressing room and there’s KC leaning forward with huge headphones blasting his music looking at himself in the mirror. He doesn’t even notice me ‘cause he’s so in the zone…like 8 Mile.
KC: That didn’t happen.
Any Diwali stress dreams?
KC: You know my ritual? That was actually a dream…that I told Nabi about. So really he’s just confused.
Do you have a theme song?
Nabi: “Introduction” by Prince Neggafellaga. There are no words…but listen to it when you’re walking around campus. It’s super intense and makes anything you’re doing seem more important.
If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Nabi: I wanna fly!
KC: Being able to open anything.
Uh okay…Secret talent?
Nabi: I can make my eyebrows dance
What’s your favorite chick flick?
KC: Pride and Prejudice. And 500 Days of Summer. And Crazy, Stupid Love.
Nabi: Mean Girls.
Favorite place on campus?
KC: WUTV.
Nabi: The DUC.
KC: He calls it “my DUC.”
Nabi: And I can open anything. So I basically have KC’s superpower…but only in the DUC.
Best quality about the other?
KC: He tries to be me.
Nabi: Well, I was gonna say something nice about you.
KC: …and he has nice hair. I mean he tries really hard.
Nabi: He’s really always there when you need him. Especially this summer when I was stressing out about life I could call him and he’d drop everything to talk to me.
KC: Can I revise my answer? Ok…Nabi’s best quality is his optimism about everything. You will never see him down…and if he is, it probably means the world is actually ending. And he always sees the best in everything and never gives up hope. He’s gonna be super successful in life.
What’s the best advice you’ve ever gotten?
KC: On my 21st birthday my dad told me, “Care for those around you. Give in any way you can. But don’t expect anything in return. Light your lamp at the alter of life and spread the light.”
Nabi: And when you find good friends, hold onto them.
One more question: what’s the first thing you notice about a girl?
KC: Hair or eyes. And she has to be witty.
Nabi: Her smile says everything. If she has a great smile, it means she’s a great person.

Rosa Heyman is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis studying Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies and Writing. She has worked as an editorial intern at Black Book Magazine in NYC and St. Louis Magazine, and for the web editor at Redbook Magazine in NYC. A Rhode Island native, Rosa likes reading, writing, Kate Moss, The New York Times' Modern Love columns, Paolo Pellegrin photography, and roller coasters.