etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Convince Your Parents that PV is a Growth Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Step 1) Get your parents drunk

Not stumbling drunk, just a few glasses or shots to get the conversation moving.

Step 2) Remind them of the cultural significance

Mexico is a lively country with a vibrant culture and history. www.VisitMexico.com explains that a vacation to Puerto Vallarta will be “an experience full of magic, color, and warmth.” It is shameful of your parents to deprive you of this transformative experience. You are now a caterpillar, and Mexico is your cocoon. After you return, you will emerge as a butterfly: worldly and wise with from myriad of lessons learned in Mexico.

Step 3) Remind them how much you love them

They’re your parents! They birthed you! They will hopefully let you go on this spring break!

Step 4) Remind them that Trump is building a wall and transportation into Mexico will only become more difficult

Reality is your fiercest ally.

Step 5) Tell your parents how much you REALLY love them

You made your parents matching mugs for Father’s Day and Mother’s Day in the 4th grade. Remind them of your love and generosity. Ask the same of them.

Step 6) Warn them of the hazards of Seasonal Affective Disorder

Seasonal Affective Disorder, known by its fitting acronym SAD, is a disorder that occurs generally in winter months, leading to hypersomnia, increased appetite, weight gain, & craving carbs. This disorder is linked to season-related change in the dark-light cycle. If your parents cared about you at all, they would allow you to absorb the light and vitamin C on a warm beach in PV to keep away the effects of SAD.

Step 7) Show them how cute you look in your new swimsuit

C’mon, you are adorable. They will have to agree.

Step 8) Tell them that youth is fleeting

Your parents were young once, full of life and energy. They had the opportunity to be carefree and enjoy the bounties of life. Now, as old people, they have the unique power to give you the opportunity to explore your formative years and create memories to last a lifetime. PV is nothing more than the chance to find an oasis in the ocean of schoolwork, a break from the reality of jobs and stress and significant others where you can breathe finally and have an experience that focuses on solely you and not the responsibilities that inevitably accompany your life after college and in the “real world.” And your parents will understand that.

By Christina Rao

giphs from www.giphy.com 

Washington University Class of 2019. College of arts and sciences, Psychology major with a minor in Design