Grant Smith 2014

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Does anyone else see Owen Wilson when they look at this week’s Campus Cutie, sophomore Grant Smith? Born in St. Louis, Grant moved to Michigan when he was three and plans to return there eventually, if not only for the lake house that will be an hour away from Ann Arbor, if all goes according to his plan. A Midwesterner through and through, Grant admits he is “good at horse things,” having stayed at dude ranches with his family and having traveled to five different national parks (Glacier National Park in Canada is his favorite). So he appreciates the outdoors, has icy blues eyes and a celebrity doppelganger? Like what you hear? Now get out of the library and head over to Einstein’s for a casual run-in with this Campus Cutie…

Grade? Sophomore.
Hometown? Ann Arbor, Michigan.
What are you studying? Economics and Strategy.
Activities on campus? Social chair of AEPI and Comedy Chair for CPC.
Which living person do you most admire? My dad because he lives his life in a very go-with-the-flow way and he is always happy.
What is the trait you most hate in yourself?  I’m kind of crazy – my mind works in a weird way. Sometimes I just have to sit down and organize my thoughts. I think I get it from my mom. Also I wear sweatpants way too often, so now I’m trying to wear jeans more.
What is your greatest fear? To grow up and realize that I’m not the person I wanted to be.
Favorite place to eat on campus? It used to be Holmes, but since I’m in the business school it’s Einstein’s.
And in St. Louis? For brunch, definitely Half & Half. I also love La Pizza.
What is the trait you most deplore in others? I hate it when people are fake and try and act like something that they are not.
On what occasion do you lie? To protect someone’s feelings. I’m pretty bad at being blunt with people. And to my parents to make them think I’m a better person.
What is a quality you most like in a friend? Loyalty. But also someone who is fun and I can tell things to.
What is the quality you most like in a girl?  Just being chill. I start to dislike girls when they start freaking out about something. I don’t like girls who aren’t able to sit down and just hang out. I want a girl who can hang out with my friends.
Which words or phrases do you most overuse? I say dude too much. AEPi goes through phases when everyone says the same thing – right now it’s “he’s killing it.” Lately I’ve been calling things “neat.”
What do you consider to be your greatest achievement? Getting on Campus Cutie… In high school, my tennis team won the State Championship my freshman and sophomore year.
How would you like to die? When I’m 100 and ready to die, I want to go skydiving and then die in a skydiving accident.
Hardest class you’re taking this semester? Probably finance.
Tell me about your first kiss? It was in 7th or 8th grade. She definitely went for it. I was so awkward with girls in middle school. Actually I was basically awkward until about junior year in high school.  I was a late bloomer.
Summer plans? Get an internship.  I’m going on a white water rafting trip.
I had a foreign exchange student from Norway my junior year of high school and I’m extremely close with him, he is basically my brother. He’s coming to visit with his family this summer and we are touring around Michigan in the upper peninsulas.
Where did you get your name? My grandfather’s middle name is Grant. Allegedly, my great great great grandmother’s cousin was Ulysses S. Grant.
Where can we find you on a Sunday afternoon? Probably playing pick up basketball in the AC or out to eat. I have never been to the library; I’ve only ever been to Whispers. I go to Lopata Basement to do work but I also actually don’t do work very often. 

Rosa Heyman is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis studying Women, Gender & Sexuality Studies and Writing. She has worked as an editorial intern at Black Book Magazine in NYC and St. Louis Magazine, and for the web editor at Redbook Magazine in NYC. A Rhode Island native, Rosa likes reading, writing, Kate Moss, The New York Times' Modern Love columns, Paolo Pellegrin photography, and roller coasters.