This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

It’s April at Wash U and we all know what that means…FORMAL SEASON! Getting ready for formal can be stressful and if you’re like me, you probably feel burdened by the same questions: “What should I wear? Should I wear jewelry? Bracelet or necklace? How much makeup? Bright or soft nail polish? Help!” Well, ladies, you’re in luck! Read on for a quick guide to help answer some of these questions.

Question #1: What should I wear?

Before you go out and spend an absurd number of hours shopping for the perfect dress, check your closet or see if you can borrow from a friend. Now that it’s spring, bright dresses are back in style so feel free to go color crazy! Some flattering colors to keep in mind are red, orange, bright blue, turquoise, and mint green. However, if you’re like me and colors overwhelm you, throw on your little black dress and watch as heads turn. The fit of your dress is a personal choice, but remember that you will be dancing and sitting, so make sure that the length of your dress is tasteful and not tight to the point where you can’t breathe. Comfort is important!                 

Question #2: Should I wear jewelry?

Jewelry is a great way to dress up an outfit. However, you need to make the decision if you want to wear a bracelet, necklace, ring, earrings, or a combination. You don’t want to overwhelm your outfit so pick and choose. For formal, try to stick to a small gold or silver necklace, a silver or gold cuff or bracelet, a tasteful ring, and stud earrings. Remember that people should be paying attention to you so don’t add too much bling to your outfit. Also, try to stick to either gold or silver, this will give you a cleaner look.

Question #3: How much makeup should I wear?

Makeup is a great way to highlight your natural beauty. All you need is some black eyeliner, black mascara, a subtle eye shadow color, mineral powder, and some lip gloss that you can take with you. DO NOT use too much makeup!

Question #4: What nail polish should I use?

Keep it classy and simple with the polish for formal! Try to stick to shades of red, pink, or a neutral. These timeless colors make you look mature and will basically match any dress. There is no need to go to a nail salon, just get a group of friends together, turn on the music, and paint on. Don’t stress if your nails aren’t perfect, it will be dark at formal.