Everyone loves summer; the short shorts, the crop-tops, the barely-there bathing suits… oh wait. As temperatures drop, you can almost hear the collective sigh of relief from girls everywhere as they put away their skimpy summer wardrobes and pull out their big comfy fall sweaters. Of course, while we can’t wait to get cozy in our fall gear, we also don’t want to fall into the trap of comfort over style. So here is a little guide for what to look out for this fall.
Pretty in Punk
Grunge is making a major comeback this fall. Don’t be scared though, you can subtly rock this look without feeling the need to bleach and chop your hair like Miley.
• Leather – remember that a little bit goes a long way. Try a skirt paired with a girly top, or a bustier with a toned down bottom.
• Plaid – it never seems to go away. You can rock them as pants if you really want to embrace your inner punk, or an oversized button down if you’re looking for something a little easier to wear.
• Chunky shoes – look for mens-wear inspired chunky black loafers – sure, they’re ugly, but isn’t that what makes them so cool?
• Studs – ‘nough said. They’ve been around for a few years now, and they’re not going anywhere.
This look is something we haven’t seen in a while. We’ve seen the plaid and studs in stores for a few seasons now, so Shakespearian-inspired styles are a welcome change to those of us who are getting a little bored.
• Gold – metallics are great for those girls that like to be show stoppers, and nothing says “Goddess” better than gold. Look for it on shoes, dresses, and bags. Gold can easily be overwhelming, so look for it in the details.
• Burgundy – This color is so rich and deep, it evokes a really romantic feel. You can wear it any and all ways. Wear it head to toe! It doesn’t matter. If you’re wearing it, you’ve got it going on this fall.
• Velvet – a material so utterly comfortable and glamorous, its hard to argue with. Looks great as a dress or tone it down with just a blazer.
• Lace – it doesn’t seem to want to leave. This season, its go big or go home. Printed lace jeans, an all-lace dress, or some Elizabethan-inspired gold lace details on a jacket or dress.
Girls everywhere this fall are expressing their wild side with this fun fad. Reptile and jungle cat prints are a great way to let loose and have some fun in the cold months ahead.
• Snake skin– This is possibly the biggest thing happening this fall. Wear it on jeggings, a shirt, a dress, a skirt, a purse, a pair of shoes… really anything you can think of. But please, not all at once.
• Leopard – Same goes here. It seems more popular on shoes than jeans, but you can find a pretty cute pair of faded grey leopard print jeggings, if you’re into that sort of thing (which I know I am).
And if you’re still not satisfied…
Don’t feel like any of the above looks work with your personal style? Well you’re in luck! These fads are also huge for fall:
• Military, mismatched collars, big chunky sweaters, black and white, polka dots, fringe boots/moccasins, printed jeans, jumpsuits, boho anything, and denim on denim
Images courtesy of lfstores.com and urbanoutfitters.com