This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

As the semester approaches an end, we are constantly bombarded with messages telling us to push through and study hard, but rarely do we get concern for our mental health. While the need to succeed is forcing us to exceed our limits, we often forget that momentary feelings of success will not outweigh the detrimental hits on our mental health. The past few weeks I have neglected my relationships and myself in the name of preserving a good GPA, yet I know the usual satisfaction that comes with academic success will not taste as sweet due to the ruins my personal life has been left in.

I think that moving forward instead of words of encouragement that only highlight pushing yourself to the limits and claiming that the work will be worth it, we should focus on intrapersonal and interpersonal relationships in combination with our academics. Maintaining healthy relationships with peers, family, professors, and most importantly ourselves will only help the pursuit of academic validation we all seek. Going into an exam with a mind that is comforted with the fact that they are worth more than a grade will have a significant impact on your confidence and test outcome. I hope that those who need help in these last weeks, can receive peace of mind and know that their worth is more than number.

Hi :) My name is Kyerra Norton and I’m a first year prospective Computer Science major at WashU. I love reading, writing, cooking, listening to music, hanging out with my friends. I joined HerCampus because of the supportive community of women and the unique stories each person has to share.
Aliya is an Editorial Intern for Her Campus Media, as well as a member of the Her Campus and Spoon University community at her college. She is a student at Washington University in St. Louis, with a major in American Culture Studies and a minor in Design. When she’s not aggressively snapping ~artsy~ photos or binge-watching films, Aliya is most likely obsessing over absurd fashion trends or perhaps trying them herself.