pile of doughnuts 1407346jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pile of doughnuts 1407346jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Pexels

“Do-nut” Miss: The Best Donut Stops in Town

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

If it’s true that “you don’t need a silver fork to eat good food,” take advantage of the donut greatness in St. Louis’ epicurean scene. Here are a few local Donut destinations that stretch the boundaries of ingenuity or simply serve tasty classics perfected by culinary superstars.

Vincent Van Doughnut

Beyond the sheer creativity of the branding, owner Vincent Marsden creates his own masterpieces with fresh fillings, unique glazes, and glorious toppings all from scratch. After rolling success with “Clyde” the food truck, these square-shaped donuts eventually made their way to the Grove’s charming storefront, inspired by a first-place win at the Cooking Channel’s Donut Showdown in 2015. Signature donut flavors include: Schlafly Black Lager caramel, vanilla mascarpone with raspberry, dulce de leche, French toast, maple bacon, and lemon lavender, any of which can be fashioned into sinfully-delicious ice cream sandwiches. For a lighter snack, the evolving renditions of creme-piped “Mini Vinnies” are worth the trip.

Donut Drive-In

What it lacks in novelty, it gains in mouth-watering flavor and authenticity. On Chippewa Street, part of historic Route 66, stands an unabashedly vintage building with friendly, life-long employees who remain loyal to their patrons as they bake many of the original recipes from the 1950s. The counter accommodates only two people amidst a cascade of white donut boxes, yet the intoxicating aroma makes it hard to leave! Some local favorites include the French cruller, chocolate long john, blueberry cake, and their famous apple fritters. Nationally recognized and locally spun, Donut Drive-In remains the perfect stop for late-night study breaks.

Strange Donuts

With funky blue storefronts in Maplewood, Kirkwood, Creve Coeur, and Edwardsville, the company motto “Stay Strange” conveys their trendy vibe. Voted Best in St. Louis by Sauce’s Readers’ Choice for 6 years and counting, the pastry trays showcase distinct categories of Original Classics, New Creations, and the Strangers–their wilder ones! Master innovator Jason Brockman captures a culture and personality in his endeavor and specializes in collaborations with local chefs for novelties such as chicken n waffles, barbequed rib, and done dog–a hot dog, mac and cheese, and candied bacon, all sandwiched into a long john. For a weaker stomach, try gooey butter cake, s’mores, peach cobbler parfait, or bourbon-spiced pear.

World’s Fair Donuts

With a touch of serendipity or sheer coincidence, this white, retro structure is situated at 1904 South Vandeventer–the same number as the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis. Known for their delicious glazed, powdered, banana cream, blueberry chip, and mini fruit-filled donuts, their landmark relevance to the neighborhood tells a story of St. Louis past and present that you must visit experience.

Bon Appetit!

At Washington University in St. Louis, Lea Despotis is majoring in Political Science and minoring in Sociology with a passion for law and journalism. As an art enthusiast, she currently runs a business specializing in photography and design.
Aliya is an Editorial Intern for Her Campus Media, as well as a member of the Her Campus and Spoon University community at her college. She is a student at Washington University in St. Louis, with a major in American Culture Studies and a minor in Design. When she’s not aggressively snapping ~artsy~ photos or binge-watching films, Aliya is most likely obsessing over absurd fashion trends or perhaps trying them herself.