A College Girl’s Guide to Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

1. Be sure to take study breaks… Whether you briefly halt your studies to drink a cup of tea and eat a cookie while you work at Kayaks, or you take a half hour to watch an episode of your favorite show on Netflix, breaks will keep you sane while you spend your days studying.  If you completely submerge yourself in your studies for hours and hours, it will be difficult to absorb all the information without feeling overwhelmed.  Taking breaks between chapters or sections and then coming back to them after your break is a good way to make sure you have retained the material.
  2. No study materials during meals… Although we all may feel tempted to split the dinner table between schoolwork and food, meals should be a time when you can relax and talk to your friends rather than slave over more work.
  3. Take time to do the things you love… Go on a run, take a walk in Forest Park, go shopping, or do whatever else it is that you do to free your mind from the stress of finals week.  Again, burying yourself in your studies will only create more stress.
  4. Take a day off… Although taking a day off of studying may seem preposterous, giving yourself a mental health day can help you to relax and put things in perspective.  While school is extremely important, there is a world outside of Wash U, believe it or not.
  5. Study in groups… Studying in groups can be really fun and effective.  After all, misery loves company.  Just make sure you study with people who are willing to focus and who won’t distract you with ridiculous YouTube videos.
  6. Work in public places… Although you may feel as though hibernating in your dorm room or a library cubicle may be the best way to do work, going to coffee shops or other quiet cafes can be a great way to get some studying done without feeling isolated. Being around other people can remind you that you’re still a real person.  A good latte can’t hurt either.

Image courtesy of College Candy 

Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.