Campus Celebrities : Thurtene Honorary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Solve this riddle: What’s black and yellow all over campus? Some of WashU’s coolest celebs the members of Thurtene Honorary! It’s no surprise that Thurtene Honorary has quite a presence on campus. Responsible for throwing  one of the best spring events that both the campus and outside community look forward to every year, “Thurtene” is immediately associated with their “Carnival.” But who are they, and what do they actually do? HC catches up with one of the Public Relations co-chairs of the 2010-2011 Thurtene group, junior Michelle Vivian, for some more details on these campus celebs.

HC: What exactly is Thurtene?

MV: It’s a junior honorary (although you stay involved your senior year) only at WashU made up of 13 students. The group brings together a bunch of leaders on campus that demonstrate academic integrity, good character and active participation on campus. We are most noted on campus for the annual spring carnival we put on, which is the largest and oldest student run carnival in the United States! The carnival is completely run by the Honorary (along with the participation of student groups) and it is the responsibility of each year’s Thurtene members to select a charity, prepare, and promote the event before it is put on in the second semester and after the event we help select winners for the best food, façade construction, production, overall carnival participation, etc. 

HC: How long has Thurtene been around for?

MV: The Honorary has been around for a while, since 1904. Originally it was an all mens honorary and it wasn’t until 1991 when they had their first female member. Now it’s usually split evenly between guys and girls.

HC: Is it in anyway Greek affiliated?

MV: Nope, not at all. In fact, our president and several other members aren’t members of Greek life. The confusion usually comes from the presence fraternities and sororities have in the Carnival with the elaborate facades they build every year. In the past ResColleges have built facades and even won the Burmeister Cup!

HC: What charity did your year select?

MV: This year we chose to benefit The Belle Center, which is a St. Louis based non-profit that focuses on integrating children with developmental delays and disabilities into the community. What is particularly cool about The Belle Center are their outreach programs such as sibling workshops and therapy sessions at home between the children and their families. Thurtene focuses on integrating campus and community, and because of this we thought this year the Belle Center was a perfect match.

HC: Why did you apply?

MV: I’ve always been interested in it since it’s so unique to our school. I watched one of my sorority sisters go through it last year and saw how much she got out of it and that finalized my decision to apply. It is a great way to get into a leadership role on campus, outside of my sorority.

HC: Does each member have a specific position?

MV: Yes. Each member, or in some case pairs, has their own position within Thurtene. Each position has specific duties and tasks, but at the same time we are a group and help with every position. Even though we have roles, we are all working towards the common goal of having the most successful Carnival yet.

HC: Do they have the same positions each year?

MV: Not necessarily. Like I said, each year the members of Thurtene have complete control. For example, this year the position ‘VP of Road Race’ was replaced with ‘VP of Programming.’

HC: How do you apply?

MV: There’s an application process for juniors interested in the fall. It’s a pretty heavy time commitment, but if you’re not going abroad and are interested I highly recommend it.

HC: What are some of the benefits you’ve already seen from becoming a member of Thurtene?

MV: My position as PR has taught me how to work with a wide range of companies. Learning how to work effectively with a range of different personalities is something I’m taking out of this, which I know will be important in whatever I decide to do after WashU. Also, just the support system that I found here is really great. Not only have the 13 of us really bonded, but also the past seniors who were on Thurtene last year have been so helpful and supportive. Thurtene is more than just a carnival. Alumni come back every year and they wear the Thurtene arm bands that we all have with the symbol- its really cool to be a part of something that people are so proud of after they graduate.

HC: Why do people think it is so mysterious?

MV: Laughs. I don’t know we are really just like every other organization that’s been around for a while, we have our own traditions that are unique to us- I guess we’re just a little better about keeping that stuff private than most people. 

HC: Lastly, what do you have against the letter “I”?

MV: Me, personally? Laughs. Nothing. I actually never knew why [Thurtene’s] spelled that way.

For more information on the Thurtene organization visit thurtene.org and don’t forget to check out the Thurtene Carnival April 15-17!