This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

Being a college student means constantly watching what you spend. But don’t let budgeting ruin your fun! Here’s some ideas for activities that won’t leave your pockets empty.

Walk through Forest Park

Try not to forget that our campus is located across the street from one of the largest urban parks in the country! Forest Park is nearly 500 acres larger than Central Park and contains tons of sights and attractions. Take a walk or jog through it with friends for some beautiful scenery.

(ksdk.com)

Build a Bonfire                                                                                    

Find a safe place to do this and you’ve got a fun and cheap night all set.  Sit around with friends to laugh, make s’mores, and just get comfy around a fire.

(patheos.com)

DIY project

These are a great way to get creative and have fun without spending big bucks.  Look up DIY projects to make decorations for your dorm out of things you already own. It’s easy, cheap, and fun!

(popsugar.com)

Zoo

Admission to the St. Louis Zoo is FREE. Don’t take this for granted! Going to the zoo is a great activity with friends on the weekend.

(neworleans.com)

Movie night with DIY projector

With just a few simple materials you probably have on hand, you can make a shoebox projector for your phone! Get some friends together and have a movie night in your dorm. Click here to see how it’s done.

(content.photojojo.com)

Stargazing

Find a place with a great view on a clear night.  Bring some friends and some blankets to lay on and you’ve got yourself a memorable (not to mention free) night.

(kingrangealliance.org)

Sledding/snowball fights

This one is obviously seasonal and regional, but when there is snow on the ground, there are always fun activities to partake in.  Snowball fights and sledding are just two fun ways to enjoy the snow without spending a dime.

(recreater.com)

Find deals

Find deals for going activities off campus. Call ahead to find out when deals or special offers are happening. Oftentimes the prices for things like bowling or seeing a movie are greatly reduced on weeknights.  Also, see what places have student discounts, and take advantage of them. (Tropicana Lanes has awesome daily specials!)

(merlkomson.com)

Have a Picnic

Grab a few friends and have a picnic outside while the weather’s still nice. If you do it in a potluck fashion, no one will need to spend too much and you’ll still have a good amount of food! (FYI: Art Hill is a great picnic location)

(lourdesdenver.com)

Mari is a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences at Wash U. She hails from Deerfield, IL, but tells everyone she's from Chicago to make it easier. When she's not writing for HC, you can find her going out with friends, exploring St. Louis, and working in the WUTV studio.
Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.