This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

You read the headline right. I’m one of those people. One of those people who brings a Batman-esq utility belt with hand-sanitizer and disinfectant everywhere. One of those people who has locked herself in her house and refuses to go out to restaurants, malls, or virtually any public place. One of those people who will only get together with friends if we’re sitting six feet apart outdoors with our masks handy. Yes: I am a quarantine conservative. 

When the COVID-19 pandemic hit, I was one of many who believed in the threat of the virus and was afraid to go outside for fear of getting or spreading the illness. My friends and I would joke about how we’d been bunkering in our homes for what seemed like forever, refusing to venture outdoors. However, in around May, I started to notice a change. Suddenly, scrolling through Instagram, I’d see pictures of large groups, sans masks, gathered together and grinning. Public facilities were open again…and people were going to them. And my friends chattered eagerly about college plans when I couldn’t imagine stepping foot onto a crowded campus. 

Suddenly, a new level of isolation was added onto my Corona experience – now, not only was I alone in my house, I was also alone in my belief that this virus is still just as threatening as was when it initially hit and that it is our responsibility as a people to stay indoors and avoid socialization. I’ve heard the arguments to the contrary a million times – “We’re teenagers and our age group isn’t impacted by the virus.” “You can’t stay inside forever.” “It really isn’t that dangerous as long as you’re careful.” But the truth is, I just don’t agree. 

If the past few months have taught us anything, it’s that there’s very little we truly know about COVID. Initially, we thought children and teens weren’t affected. Now studies are showing that they absolutely are and that we’re often asymptomatic carriers; so even if we’re alright, we might be responsible for endangering and infecting our elders unknowingly. We assumed that once you had the virus, you were immune. Now we’ve seen early virus mutations and our first few cases of reinfection. I realize and agree that we can’t stay inside forever. But I do think it’s reasonable to stay inside until we at least have a vaccine. And when people say it isn’t dangerous…well, just take a look at the millions of people who have lost their lives to the virus and then tell me you think it isn’t dangerous. 

Normally when I have a divergent opinion from my friends we’re able to agree to disagree and move on. With COVID, however, it’s a bit of a different story. Generally, when a friend makes a decision I don’t agree with, as long as it isn’t a dangerous one, I would simply understand that it’s their life and their decision and move on. Now, however, a person’s decision to venture outside and gather with peers not only threatens their own person, but everyone around them; it’s a risk to public health. Is it moral to stand idly by as my friends and peers go out to parties and on beach trips? Then again, if I say something, I’ll be that annoying friend who thinks she knows everything and I’ll alienate those I care about. That’s not my intention, of course. I just want the people I love and those in my community to be safe. 

I’ve struggled a lot with this issue lately – not knowing how I should handle my COVID conservatism. I’ve had to watch my friends move away to college and then notice the outbreaks rising in the news. And I’ve had to miss out on my own on-campus collegiate experience which has been a great challenge (although, of course, it’s all relative – my heart goes out to anyone who has lost a loved one to or has suffered greatly because of the virus). But here’s what I will say: the past few months, while difficult and taxing, have taught me a lot about how to interact with others who have different opinions about Corona. So regardless of whether you’re a fellow conservative or someone willing to risk a social gathering, I invite you to consider the following:

1. BE HONEST

As I said, the decision to go out into the world and socialize is one that impacts everyone. Because of this, I think it’s appropriate to politely approach a friend with your concerns. Emphasis on politely. Which brings me to step two.

1. BE RESPECTFUL

My boyfriend recently told me about an experience he had with one of his friends who, quite aggressively, informed him that he was an idiot if he didn’t engage in a long list of safety precautions. Naturally, he was a little frustrated. No one wants a lecture. Diplomatically expressing your fears and concerns however is, in my mind, completely reasonable. And if the person still disagrees with you, so be it. At that point, you move on to step three.

1. BE UNDERSTANDING

If you’ve expressed your concerns but you and your friend are still on different wavelengths, all you can do is agree to disagree. And this goes both ways. I’ve been lucky in that my closest friends have respected my conservative take on the virus and were willing to humor my requests – wearing masks, sitting six feet apart, being outside, etc. – when we got together. The fact that they were so understanding and accommodating meant a lot to me. Just as bullying someone about their decision to go out isn’t cool, bullying someone for their desire to stay in is just as bad. 

As I continue to wipe down boxes of takeout and take my WashU classes online from my bedroom “dorm room,” I’m still struggling with the fact that many of the people I care about aren’t on the same page as I am. But sometimes, that happens. And that’s okay. All I can do – and all we can do, regardless of whether we’re COVID conservative or not – is to be respectful and do our part as best we can. 

I hope that everyone is staying safe and healthy.

Alexis Bentz

Wash U '24

Alexis Bentz is a senior at WashU double majoring in English with a concentration in creative writing and Spanish.
breakfast & poetry enthusiast