6 Irritating Female Struggles (and How to Fix Them)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

This article may or may not be the definition of “first world problems,” but I guarantee that every girl reading this can relate to at least two of these daily struggles. Everyone has her own unique pet peeve that drives her absolutely crazy, but I think that these six parts of being a girl begin to cover the boundaries we must overcome each and every day. To go along with this very organized rant is a set of solutions that can bring us closer to conquering these problems like it ain’t no thang.

1. Shedding: I admit that this sounds really gross at first, but if you have even semi-long hair, you definitely know what I’m talking about. Throughout the average day, and especially if we are messing with our hair, breakage occurs and the hairs often get caught instead of falling out at that time. Then, later, when you go to wash or brush your hair at home, you might notice that a lot of hair comes out. This can happen the most when one brushes wet hair, given that is when the hair is most fragile.

AVOID IT: Use a wide-tooth comb on wet hair instead of a paddle brush, or try The Wet Brush. Its bristles are soft and flexible, gently untangling wet hair without causing tearing and breakage. Seriously, this thing is a godsend. As for dealing with dry hair, try not to play with your hair during the day and brush your dry hair over a trashcan to avoid getting hair everywhere. Adding a detangling spray and/or hydrating hair serum to your regimen will also make your hair stronger and less likely to break.

2. Fading makeup: I wear little to no makeup during the day, which is why I actually take the time to put something on if I go out at night. What’s the point of putting in the effort when it’s just going to come off in a matter of hours? There are certain long-lasting products such as mascaras and eye shadow primers, but the problems lie in concealers, bronzers, and other face makeup.

AVOID IT: Use Urban Decay All Nighter, a makeup setting spray. Before going out, give yourself two sprays to cover your face. Make sure you hold the bottle at least three or four inches from your face to create a mist rather than a splash.

3. Frizz and flyaways: Also on the topic of hair, those of us without perfect locks must cope with both frizz and flyaways. These hair issues are heightened in both the dryness of winter and the humidity of the summer (serious year-round strugs right here).

AVOID IT: Use hair wax, such as Bumble and bumble. Sumotech or a thick contouring cream like Bumble and bumble. Thickening Creme Contour, a less aggressive approach. Either way, both of these products come in a little jar and last forever, considering you don’t need much to do the job. Hairspray is also an option, but no one wants her hair looking greasy. For the hold without the grease, put some hairspray onto a tissue and apply it to your problem area(s).

4. Dry wintertime skin: Cold weather does not only cause static and dryness for our hair, but also for our skin, particularly our hands. Carrying a small bottle of lotion seems like the easiest solution, but there is always the chance that it will somehow open and destroy the inside of your bag.

AVOID IT: Use a pair of cloth gloves to wear during the night while you sleep. Try these Thirsty Hands Moisture Gloves from The Body Shop. Simply coat your hands in a thick moisturizer, and slip them on. Your hands will be unbelievably soft in the morning. You can also do the same thing for your feet by using a pair of socks!

5. Chapped lips: Unfortunately, lip balm only really works preventatively, and once our lips are extremely chapped, a lip moisturizer only does so much. Once your lips become flaky and dry, any color or gloss that you try to apply will just make them look worse.

AVOID IT: Use a toothbrush to scrub away flakes and dryness. You can use it dry or damp- either way works. Use a lip balm immediately after and you’ll be amazed at how smooth they feel.

6. Redness after facial waxing: I’ll never forget the time I got my eyebrows waxed in London and had to travel 30 minutes on the tube looking like I had just ripped Band-Aids off my face. That’s great if you can just jump in your car post-waxing, but if not, the redness can be a big problem.

AVOID IT: Bring a tube of cortisone and apply to the red area right after waxing. Using makeup immediately after a treatment can cause more irritation, but there are certain products that are trustworthy. Try Colorescience primers, a line approved by dermatologists that is safe to use after skin treatments. 

Sydney Davis is a senior at Washington University in St. Louis majoring in Film & Media Studies and minoring in Writing. She loves running, exploring new cities, fashion, boating, and most importantly, Whole Foods.