This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

There’s a reason why so many artists create holiday albums: holiday music boosts endorphins and even causes people to purchase more items in stores. Whether or not you celebrate Christmas, holiday music builds excitement and reminds people of cheery times as the weather gets frosty. Thanksgiving is approaching, so if you haven’t already built your holiday playlist for the season, here are some of my favorite new and old recommendations.

1. “The Christmas Album” by Leslie Odom Jr.

Yes, the entire album. If you’re a Hamilton stan and Hanukkah celebrator like me, you’re in luck with this album. Best known for playing Aaron Burr in Hamilton on Broadway, Leslie Odom Jr. released a 10-song album with classics like “Last Christmas,” originals like “Snow,” and a Jewish prayer called “Ma’oz Tzur.”

This is the first time a Jewish song has been included in a mainstream holiday album and it’s great to see increased representation during a season that’s very centered around Christmas.

“Ma’oz Tzur” is a traditional Jewish prayer sung during Hanukkah, and Leslie Odom Jr. does a beautiful rendition with his wife, Nicollette Robinson, in which they sound like fluent Hebrew speakers!

2. “Christmas Tree Farm” by Taylor Swift

With the release of a holiday single, Taylor Swift smoothly hopped into another new genre. As always, she brings the perfect blend of pop and soul to this upbeat tune.

3. “Christmas Valentine” by Ingrid Michaelson and Jason Mraz

This romantic song combines Jason Mraz’s relaxing jazz style with Ingrid Michaelson’s dazzling voice to create the perfect atmosphere for cozying up by the fire. Plus, it’s all about spending time with loved ones during the holiday season. Ugh, so cute.

4. “Like It’s Christmas” by The Jonas Brothers

Holiday music and The Jonas Brothers = double the endorphins. A background of bells and a cheerful love-song by the ultimate trio brings the rom-com vibes right to your headphones.

5. “Christmas” by Michael Buble

A classic Christmas album, with festive songs like “Let It Snow” and “White Christmas,” this album never fails to bring back childhood memories of the day before Christmas break and gathering with family and friends.

6. “Drummer Boy” by Justin Bieber and Busta Rhymes

If you ever wondered how a classic holiday song could turn into rap, this is the song for you. With both Christmas vibes and dance vibes, this song doesn’t disappoint.

Have a great holiday season!

Hi! I'm Carly :) I'm a sophomore at Washington University in St. Louis studying marketing and finance. When I'm not in class, you can find me dancing, watching Netflix, baking, and spending time with friends and family.
We are WashU's Her Campus site designed for collegiettes here on campus.