5 Coats to Brave the STL Winter in Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

As winter approaches it’s time to break out the scarves and boots—but what about a new coat? Contrary to popular belief, outerwear can be cozy and cute and is a great opportunity to add some style to your wardrobe this season.

1) The Peacoat

Via Spiga

Double Breasted Wool Blend Military Coat

$178.00

You can’t go wrong with this classy and stylish coat. There are colorful options for the adventurous or the classic black or beige. Wool is super warm and comfy and will help you brave the wind and snow. Get a long one to cover cozy sweaters and add some warmth. Wear it opened or buttoned with leggings and boots for an outfit all on its own.

2) The Parka

Laundry by Shelli Segal

Faux Fur Trim Parka

$168.00

If you’re like me, then nothing beats the warmth of a big puffy parka. Have no fear, you can wear one without looking like a big marshmallow. Accents such as gold zippers or a faux fur hood add style while keeping you nice and toasty.

3) The Faux Fur

Sam Edelman

Chevron Faux Fur Coat

$178.00

There’s nothing better than cuddling up with your favorite stuffed animal to keep you warm—except maybe wearing it. While PETA may disagree, not only are fur coats luxurious and elegant, they’re super warm and definitely attention grabbing. No worries we’re only talking about faux fur here which means they’re animal and wallet friendly while still keeping you warm and stylish this winter.  

4) The Trench Coat

London Fog

Heritage Trench Coat with Detachable Liner

$178.00

Adding a little Sherlock Holmes to your wardrobe is a great way to stay warm this season. They’re waterproof, plus, the tie belt is a great way to define your waist while wearing bulky layers. Again, the long length adds warmth and it’s super cute while buttoned, which means you’ll stay extra snug and cozy.

5) The Quilted Coat

Cole Haan

Leather Trim Belted Quilted Coat

$495.00

The quilted pattern on this coat is a great way to keep the puffiness of a down coat to a minimum while still keeping all the warmth and being super cute. Pockets, zippers and belts oh my! All of these elements work together to make one cozy coat. Go for a bold statement with the color and length of this coat and no one will bother to look at what you’re wearing underneath.