5 Albums That Will Get You Through Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wash U chapter.

It goes without saying that finals week is the worst. It’s gloomy and stressful, everyone’s too busy to hang out, and getting work done is extra difficult when you can’t stop thinking about going home in a number of days. Fortunately, some of the greatest artists of our generation have new music to get you through this challenging time.

1. J. Cole – 4 Your Eyez Only

itleaked.online

This is J. Cole’s first album in two years and it’s pretty clear he’s been working on it ever since. He speaks passionately, pleading with the listener. Overall, the sound is pretty slow and makes for pretty good background music for studying (my apologies if insinuating that J. Cole is background music offends any die hard fans). It’s a pretty emotional album so be prepared.

2. Childish Gambino – “Awaken, My Love!”

fusetv

Childish hasn’t released any music since his 2013 album, Because The Internet which admittedly was kind of a flop. This is a completely different sound for him, most notably because there isn’t any rapping on the album. “Awaken, My Love!” is psychedelic funk R&B soul with a strong Prince influence running through it. This album will lift you up when you’re weary from studying and lay you down easy when it’s finally time to go to sleep.

3. John Legend – Darkness and Light

hiphop-n-more.com

Another artist who hasn’t released new music in a while, this is John Legend’s first studio album in three years. Darkness and Light is essentially just a love letter to Chrissy Teigen and why shouldn’t it be? It’s soft and loving to a point that will bring you to tears. It’s passionate and intense and the perfect music to listen to on your way to the library.

4. The Hamilton Mixtape

hypable.com

Did you love Hamilton and just want more of it? Did you miss out on the trend and are now looking for a way to be included? This is the album for you. This is the album for everyone. The Hamilton Mixtape honors Lin-Manuel Miranda’s compositional and lyrical genius by enhancing the music he’s already created. The album features pretty much the best artists out there; Chance the Rapper, Kelly Clarkson, Sia, Alicia Keys, The Roots, Usher, Nas, Queen Latifah, Ashanti, John Legend, Jill Scott, Wiz Khalifa, and so many more. If you already loved Hamilton, love it a little more. If you don’t yet, have a listen and see what all the rage is about.

5. Justin Bieber – Under the Mistletoe

wikipedia.com

Yes, this album is from 2011 and by no means new. Everyone has heard it. However, it’s the holiday season and if you haven’t listened to it in a while (you probably have), you really should (you’re probably listening to it right now). It’s upbeat and cheerful with songs like Santa Claus is Coming to Town, but slow and reflective with Pray. Sit by the fire with a textbook in your lap and enjoy the sweet sounds of a young sixteen year-old Biebs. 

Fanny Wolfowitz is a sophomore at Washington University in St. Louis. She loves Kanye West, her sweet sweet puppy Charlie, and the Mets.
Rachel is a junior in Olin Business School at Washington University in St. Louis. When she's not using her status as a twin as her obvious fun fact, she'll probably tell you that she loves photography, concerts, travel, Buzzfeed, and slaving over clever Instagram captions.