The Ultimate Guide to Mother’s Day 2021

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

It’s that wonderful time of year again, where we like to give our mothers a little extra attention and celebrate all they do for us. Mothers deserve the most every day, but here are some special things you can do for mother’s day this year – May 9th (Sunday)! 

If you live with your mom or can meet with her safely (after taking necessary precautions!) 

Cook together: 

Cooking together or baking together is a great bonding activity! Even better is to cook up a family recipe to celebrate different generations and keeping traditions alive. Here are some ideas for what to make! 

Make/design something:

Whether its crafting, redecorating your home, making little knicknacks, making or designing things together is always fun!

Watch mother-daughter movies:

Watching movies is always a great passtime, but there’s something special and sentimental about watching a mother-daughter movie on Mother’s day! Check out Buzzfeed’s list of 31 movies all mothers should watch with their daughters!

Plan a picnic: 

Good food, fresh air, nice scenery, and the perfect setting to just sit and talk with your mom! 

Breakfast in bed:

Everyone appreciates getting breakfast in bed. Cook up your mom’s favorite and serve her in bed! 

Look through old photo albums together:

Mother’s day is the perfect time to whip out your old photo albums or scrapbooks and reminisce on all your memories together. 

Have a at-home spa day:

With a pandemic going on and all, going out to a spa is probably not the safest thing. So why not pamper yourself at home? Set up a simple little spa for you and your mom! 

If you’re living away from your mother and are unable to see her 

Have a virtual brunch 

Just because you can’t be together physically, doesn’t mean you can’t have a nice chat over a meal. Set up a video call and have nice foods in front of you to feel like you’re brunching together. 

Send her a gift 

Even if you can’t physically spend time together, your mom will for sure feel the love from getting a surprise present at her doorstep! 

Make her a video

While you might not be able to look through a photo album sitting side-by-side, you can easily compile your favorite photos and clips together to make her a short video of your favorite memories together!