This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

If I could have one super power, it would be the power of teleportation. Having family and friends scattered all over the globe is amazing as it is challenging. On one hand, I find it exciting to know that I have safe harbors and connections in places that I would never be connected to otherwise. On the other hand, when it comes down to maintaining the relationships with my not-always-conveniently-located friends and family, that’s when the struggle makes its appearance.

Of course, the Internet and social media have worked wonders for keeping tabs on the important people that we’ve connected with in our lives, but this virtual connection can only do so much. It can’t (at least not yet) allow us to send or receive hugs or kisses or high-fives. It can’t let us sit next to our friends and offer them a solid shoulder to cry on when the going gets tough. And it can’t let us see, feel, or truly experience the wonders of the world without the necessity of spending a pretty penny.

So yeah, ending up in the comfort of my family home or around a bonfire with my friends with the simple snap of my fingers seems like the best superpower to me.

Photo by Mervyn Chan on Unsplash

That being said, there is one complication that I wonder about, ethical and legal considerations aside. If traveling back and forth between places were to become so easy, would we forget how to enjoy what’s right in front of us? If we could escape all of our troubles by simply zapping ourselves out of awkward situations, would we become lazy and unable to face challenges? As much as I would love to be able to see my family and friends whenever I wanted, I think that there is a beauty in learning to make do with what we have and growing where we are planted. Through the time that I’ve spent away from my family, friends, and “comfort zone”, I feel like I’ve grown so much as an individual and only appreciate the people that stick around even more.

Photo by Greg Rakozy on Unsplash

Maybe one day we’ll find ourselves in something resembling a Black Mirror episode (hopefully one with a good ending) and we’ll be teleporting around to our hearts content. But, until that day comes, I’ll do my very best to enjoy where I am today and look forward to where I might be tomorrow.

Thanks for reading! :)

Liberal Arts student obsessed with books, music, movies and all things creative. American, Japanese, and an honorary Canadian.