Travelling through Osaka

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

When people come to Japan, their main objective is usually to get to see the busy crossing of Shibuya, see the traditional temple of Asakusa, or visit the imperial palace – all in Tokyo. Tokyo has become so synonymous with “Japan” that some may not even know any other city than Tokyo. However, if you go to the West, you get to see a completely different side. The difference of the East and the West of Japan can be hard for a tourist to understand, but through this article we’ll explore the unique identity of the west and why you should visit it.

What I mean by the “West” is Osaka.

I’ve only been to Osaka once in my life, but I was really surprised at how different it is from Tokyo.

1)   The dialect

This is probably the hardest for non-Japanese speakers to differentiate, but Osaka (Osaka-ben) has its own dialect which is different from the Japanese that is spoken here (Hyojungo). This dialect differs in within the western counties, so it’s different between Osaka and Kyoto, even though they’re just neighbors.

2)   The people

There’s also a significant difference with the personality of the people. The people of the west are known to be more friendly, and more honest compared to ones in Tokyo. I personally felt the difference during my visit to Osaka, I had strangers randomly coming up to help us without asking (rarely, or if not never happens in Tokyo) and the staffs at stores were more engaging with conversations.

3)   The food

The east and the west are known to have different taste buds. Even the famous Japanese dish miso-soup are known to be based on a different type of miso. Also, Osaka likes many of their food with sauce, and famous examples of these are takoyaki and okonomiyaki, which are both topped with a thick layer of the infamous Japanese sauce.

4)   Vibrant vibes

Just from walking through the Dotenbori streets I could instantly tell the difference of the streets we have in Tokyo. Yes, in Tokyo we have streets covered in bight lights and vibrant colours, but Osaka is completely different with their definition of busy streets. The famous Dotenbori-street is covered in big lanterns and big signs that pop up to its pedestrians. Moreover, the energy that the locals have make the city more vibrant and more exciting. 

Raised in South East Asia, now living in Tokyo, studying Commerce at Waseda University.