Transculturation in Waseda University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

The interaction between different cultures is a common occurrence of this new century. As the consequence of globalisation, the interaction and integration of diverse cultures has become an ordinary event in daily life. This phenomenon is specifically referred to as transculturation. The exact definition of transculturation was invented by a Cuban anthropologist, Fernando Ortiz, in 1947. Transculturation is defined as the integration of different cultures without losing any of the main essences of each culture. Ultimately it indicates a phenomena of neoculturation, which is the creation of a new culture with its previous characteristics. The process of developing a new culture is the result of daily confrontation and tactic negotiation of people with various cultures. 

(A photo of me and my friends of different cultural backgrounds. Left to right: Lena, Japanese, raised in Tokyo, went to international school; me- Japanese-Colombian; Rosie, Japanese-British, raised in Japan and New Zealand)

The word ‘transculturation’ was originally created to indicate the devastating historical consequence of the Spanish colonisation of Latin America. The conquest of Americas could be defined as a successful or a tragic event depending on the historical point of view; history can be rewritten in different ways, it is determined by the story told by the dominators or the dominated. However, it is irrefutable to say that these events were the seed of transculturation in Latin America, ultimately creating its current culture. The confrontation of Indigenous people and the Spanish or Portuguese, the colonisation of the dwellers of South America, and the domination over a unique society such as Mayas or Incas resulted in a daily transculturation of different cultures.

This phenomenon is not a stranger in recent days; globalisation has made an easy road for transculturation to take place in everyday events. Nowadays, it is not necessary to dominate and colonise an entire continent in order for this to occur. One of the best examples of this is the university life provided by Waseda University, more specifically, the life of the students of the School of International Liberal Studies faculty. The educational highlight of SILS could be the possibility of taking various subjects related to many different fields, or maybe the attractive idea of getting an English diploma in an Asian country. All of these statements might be true. However, the excitement and fascination of SILS does not only rely on these qualities, but also on the transculturation that is taking place everyday in the student life.

(From left to right: Lulu-British, born and raised in Tokyo; Amy- Japanese, born and raised in California; Haruka- Japanese-American; me; Alban- French, raised in France and Tokyo)

In the daily life of a SILS student, meeting and interacting with people of diverse backgrounds is a given. The environment created by SILS could be seen as unique and interesting; transculturation is taking place everyday. The possibility of meeting people with a different ethnicity, religious belief, sexual orientation or social class is extremely high. This mixture of diversity allows transculturation to occur easily, and perhaps subconsciously. This phenomena results in opening the students’ minds.  The prejudice that happens in different parts of the world, and even in Japan itself is almost nowhere to be seen in a SILS student’s school life. Of course, human imperfection is right around the corner; the disagreement and dislikes between students are also common. However, these are normal human behaviours.

The transculturation in Waseda is a unique environment for students, a distinctive way to learn about culture and diversity. Many of the students of SILS expected something different from an international environment, but integration of different cultures is a slow process. Nevertheless, an intense transculturation is taking place. Unfortunately, there are many students who are not satisfied with the Liberal Arts program in Waseda University. However, if these students would take the time to take one look at the SILS building, they will see a world of diversity and colours. There is no such thing as perfection, and especially it would be next to impossible for a university to satisfy the ambition of all students. But the Liberal Arts program in Waseda University is actually giving the students a idiosyncratic experience, and maybe it is more important than the words written in a textbook. Students of SILS are creating a new culture through transculturation, a culture that is proud of diversity.