Spend Autumn in Japan by…Screaming Your Hearts Out!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Big 4 Screaming Machines of Fuji Q Highland

With the winter holidays approaching fast (ignoring the mid-terms), have you thought of a place to let down your hair and breathe in some non-Tokyo air? Well, Yamanashi prefecture has just the perfect solution for you – Fuji Q Highland!

Fuji Q Highland is renowned for its “Big 4 Screaming Machines” (4大絶叫マシン), which are roller coasters not for the faint hearted. Some of them are Guinness World Record holders for the most number of revolutions and the angle of slope.

You could probably guess from their names (they don’t even try to conceal it) that the machines were meant to extract screams from you… But, don’t worry, they really aren’t that scary! *Wink*

Number 1: Dodonpa ドドンパ

Dodonpa is unlike your usual roller coaster. It doesn’t climb nor does it descend at the start. Instead, it fires you off at a speed of 172km/h right from the very beginning (achieving this speed in just 1.8 seconds). The roar of the coaster (which does actually sound like a plane taking off) echoes through the park and can be heard even while waiting in line for other rides!

Number 2: FUJIYAMA

Fujiyama is a world class coaster renowned for its highest speed of 130km/h, deepest drop of 70m, and highest height attained at 79m. Which also means that the coaster takes a while to climb to reach its peak. Meanwhile, your excitement and anticipation levels would have already peaked. Trust me, the climb was really long; People were screaming while the coaster was still climbing just because it was too high. But then again, you could see Mt. Fuji on a clear day, which is… kinda soothing, I guess. Well, upon reaching the peak, you would then be greeted with 27 vertical drops and 13 twists.

No, I jest, you probably wouldn’t have the time nor the attention to count anyway while screaming.

Number 3: EeJaNaika ええじゃないか

EeJaNaika was a form of dancing often used as political protests nearing the end of the Edo period. They were carnival-like, colourful, messy and chaotic. And that, is exactly what you would get from this ride.

First, you start off ascending the track, backwards (attaining a height of 76m). Not long later, you’ll be facing the heavens, then the earth, and then you fall straight for the ground (while facing it) at speeds of 126km/h. This coaster spins both the train… and your seat. It is 4 dimensional. You’ll be disoriented. Very, disoriented. But then again, a little bit of chaotic fear wouldn’t hurt, right?

Oh and by the way, this coaster has a Guinness World Record for the most (14) number of inversions. Piece of cake though.

Number 4: Takabisha 高飛車

Takabisha, the highlight of FujiQ. You start off with a drop in the darkness, some loops and stuff like that, yea, nothing special. And then, you arrive at it’s the defining glory. The 121° drop. The train stops, and the elevator track starts to slowly drag you up to the peak. The train pauses for 5 seconds. The descending track ahead curves inwards and you are unable to see the rails. As the final second passes, you drop.

This coaster has a Guinness World Record for the steepest coaster (121° drop) made from steel.

Access

There is a train station called Fujikyuu Hairando next to the theme park and is accessible within 2 hours from Tokyo.

Otherwise, it is cheaper to purchase a Bus Set from FujiQ. If you depart from the Shinjuku Highway Bus Terminal, it costs 7500 yen which includes a round bus trip and a 1 day free pass for Fuji Q. The ride takes around 1 hr 40 mins.   

So if you’re not one of the faint-hearted, head to Fuji Q for a wild, wild ride!