This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Communication is a crucial component of human life; We have created and developed objects and skills which help us to understand and cooperate amongst one another. This is the main structure of human relationships; Each individual utilizes their knowledge and skills to communicate with others. Nevertheless, socializing and communicating have its limitations; Humans are only available to interact through their five senses, each transmitting certain pieces of information to the brain. There have been several studies, especially with twin siblings, attempting to demonstrate different communication methods that are much more associated with the human psyche. It is impossible to get access from an external source for this part of human life; Psyche is the Greek term that refers to the human spirit, which reenforces the idea that the spirit cannot be entered from conventional commutation methods. 

The psyche or the subconscious part possesses an extreme amount of information, which ultimately creates the inner person of each individual. Hypothetically, if communication and connection between different psyches of different people were possible, others can gain access to the knowledge, skills and emotions of other humans. Evidently, this is only a simple dream hypothesis and no evidence of such communication methods have ever been recorded. Moreover when studying psyche and subconsciousness, there are unlimited complexities in terms of psychological studies. Nonetheless, if such a miracle connection between people were to exist, it would expand and create new possibilities of understanding each other and ourselves; Each thought and emotion could be transmitted without misunderstanding or human errors. 

In 2015, Lana and Andy Wachowski created a TV series, ’Sense8’, in which the connection between humans brains are possible. The Wachowski brothers are best known for their brilliant trilogy of ‘The Matrix’. In the films, the brothers focused much more on ontological aspects of human life; The true existence of reality and its dimensions. In ‘Sense8’, the Wachowski’s have concentrated much more on the human brain. Furthermore, they utilize the connection between different individuals to express different social issues concerning power, gender, ethnicity, identity and sexuality. In the show, there are 8 different characters from 8 different countries; Each has its own cultural and educational background, which makes every single one of them completely different from the others. In ‘Sense8’, these 8 characters are able to communicate with, and access knowledge from each other subconsciously.

The potential that ‘Sense8’ has is the mirrored reflection of the diversity created between the characters; As these 8 characters are subconsciously interconnected, the judgment towards others are not based on physical appearances. The connection that these individuals possess opens a door to the true identity of others, where sexuality, gender and power becomes a secondary matter. Moreover, the astonishing aspect of the connection is not only an incredible human understanding between them but also the knowledge exchange that they can peform. In ‘Sense8’, language and cultural barriers are completely destroyed, and they are able to communicate in any language that one of the individuals has the knowledge of. In other words, the skills and knowledge that each character cultivated throughout their time can be automatically shared and utilized by others. 

There has been criticism that indicates that the show has only created characters that are stereotypical according to each culture. However, it is crucial to understand that ‘Sense8’ is not directly trying to create diversity throughout the cultural characteristics of each individual but it is the celebration and expansion of human connection. The Wachowski’s have created a show that demonstrates the beauty of human connection without any limitation. The show could be an ideological and progressive perspective of human life. As the series has only released the first season, it is difficult to analyze and fully comprehend the meaning behind the storyline. Nevertheless, the main characteristics of the show are extremely interesting and unique.