jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jamie street KaAiThQZrGU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Japanese Seasonal Inspiration-Autumn Part III

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Part 3

Lastly, let’s dive into the world of food! In Japan, as the season change into autumn, you can find the slogan “Appetizing Autumn” in many supermarkets and restaurants. This powerful slogan works wonders, and it’s no surprise coming from a country where products sales are so competitive that shops have developed countless ways to hook the interests of consumers. It is indeed rather persuasive. We know you like good food all year round, but not it’s “Appetizing Autumn”, so why not indulge a little more? Then the next thing you know, that extra box of persimmons and 1kg of ground beef which you didn’t plan on buying became logical purchases. Since the ancient times, autumn has always been the season of harvest and prosperity, and in an island country like Japan, autumn is also the best season to enjoy a fine fatty meal of Pacific saury and oysters. The word “seasonal” has a great impact on Japanese lifestyle. Everything has its’ seasons, and the people who follow the flow of seasons and reap the right fruits at the right times are guaranteed to receive great results. So far in my opinion, this way of life has indeed brought upon people all kinds of joy. Since this concept of seasonal ingredients work so well, it is no wonder that from set menus in restaurants to the snacks on promotion in convenience stores, one can always catch a glimpse of the realistic forms of seasons everywhere in Japan. The persimmons in autumn are juicy, sweet and delightful. Apart from the fresh persimmons, dried persimmons can also be seen selling right next to its’ fresh buddies. Dried persimmons have a chewy texture that will surely be an interesting snacking experience for those who have never tried it before. To me, sweet dried persimmons also taste like childhood, it’s not really a fancy snack, and yet it has the taste of nostalgia that just can’t be replaced. Meal-wise, crispy fried oysters with a crunch and the grilled pacific saury with a taste of sea breeze are both basic members in many restaurants. Speaking of the Pacific Saury, actually, apart from enjoying it grilled, eating it sashimi-style is also quite the luxury. Grilled pacific saury smells divine, with a hint of saltiness. The crispy fish skin and metallic glaze is unique to the fish itself. The yummy combo of fatty fish oil and lean fish meat is something I can never get enough of. On the other hand, the crunchy fried oyster that just came out of the bubbling hot oil should be eaten right away. Some of the oysters are too big to fit in your mouth in one bite, so you will just have to eat it patiently (and reluctantly), bite by bite. That breadcrumb covered juiciness explodes in your mouth with every crunch, and from that point onwards, your life has been completely changed. Fried foods are just so straightforwardly awesome. Indulgence of autumn delicacies really doesn’t get better than this.

In conclusion…It doesn’t matter if a person is now madly in love with autumn because he/she just had a delicious meal, or if he/she is in agony because an excitable leaf just flew into his/her mouth a couple of seconds ago, riding with the autumn breeze. I think we can all agree that in a country like Japan, where autumn exudes such diverse beauty, it would be a shame if one doesn’t stop and stare for a bit and enjoy the cool night breeze once in a while. There are limited opportunities for us to be enlightened and inspired by our natural surroundings, so seize the moment and don’t let these great things in life pass you by. Ride with the seasons, you will be just fine-

American born Taiwanese who was raised all over the world, but mainly in the States and Taiwan. With a round face and chipmunk-like features, this girl is more than ready to take on the world. Hey guys it's Lilianne. I'm interested in anything that improves the quality of life and am a die-hard fan of Nameko, the mushroom character that originated from a series of Japanese smartphone game. Writing is just one of the many ways in which I feel like I can express my thoughts and opinion to the outside world, and I'm working really, really, super hard on becoming perfectly trilingual. Oh and I dream of one day opening my own shops around the world to tell my life stories. Nice to meet ya all!