Food For Thought – Gender Equality and Agriculture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Gender inequality has been a significant social issue around the world. There have been remarkable changes in equalizing the status of women since the first and second waves of feminist movements began in the United States. The first wave focused on changing the legislation system of the United States, and ultimately American women were given the right to vote. The second wave was more concentrated on the liberation of women in several aspects of society, which eventually changed the American society into a more equal one. These are all significant turning points that mark out the journey of social change.

Countries that are strongly associated with gender inequality, such as Afghanistan, have been witnesses of the change in gender equality; After the Taliban, an Islamic fundamentalist political movement, took control of the political system of Afghanistan, an extreme sexist ideology was implemented into the society. Afghan women were limited to several social privileges and gender apartheid was applied. However, under the Karzai administration over the last decade, women’s rights has been improving; they are now able to engage themselves in more social activities such as driving and education which were banned before. More importantly, the constitution recognized all citizens as equal regardless of their gender.

The world has clearly been changing; the liberation of women around the world from a domestic prison and systematic discrimination has been an important step in reducing gender inequality. However, gender inequality is, undeniably, a default standard around the world. It is important to overcome the traditional ideology of gender difference, and to work towards an equal society for both genders. There are different theories as to how and why gender inequality became a default reality in the majority of societies. The dominant theory is of course the biological difference of women and men. Moreover, some of these theories that try to explain the domination of one gender to another are more related to religious beliefs. However, there is one interesting theory that is more related to human behavior.

Before the adoption of agriculture in human societies and civilization, humans were hunters and gatherers. They lived within a community and shared everything from food, shelter, tools, to the care of their children. As real property and possessions were not concerns, it makes sense that sexuality was also shared. Children were healthy and well trained for group survival. The notion of a “couple” did not exist as it had no social utility. During that period of time, female fertility remained an enigma and women were valued as holders of the mystery of life and death.

Agriculture was most likely a technology developed by women, especially those who were close to shelter; they spent time caring for small children and collecting seeds, fruits and herbs that happened to sprout from the earth after being discarded. Therefore, control over nature arose, and the need for a stable home (domestic lifestyle) and the first concepts of ownership was originated. Under these circumstances, control over animals became possible and they were no longer hunted for, but domesticated.

Male figures realized that without a man in a group of females, they were not able to reproduce. And with this realization the concept of paternity was born. Property was to be accumulated and transmitted to legitimate children. Meanwhile, men retained their free exercise of sexuality in spite of some legislative and religious attempts to control it that had little success. Women, on the other hand, have watched their freedom of access to public spaces, education, sports, politics, and other activities disappear behind a domestic prison.

There are no clear explanations as to why gender inequality actually exists in human societies. The creation of agriculture could be the reason behind it, or it could simply be biological differences. However, humans have proved that they are capable of achieving control over nature, so whatever natural differences between men and women there may be, it is possible to overcome it to ultimately create an equal society. As a matter of fact, it is not important to comprehend the origin of this unfortunate reality of gender inequality, but to defeat it. The unlimited achievements that a person can accomplish are not related to their gender, but their individual capabilities.