Cheap travelling tips + Backpacking in Cambodia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

College is when you have a lot of time on your hands. It’s probably the only time in your life when you have the luxury to spend all the time in the world for yourself, because once you’re in the job market, you’re forced to sacrifice most of your time working. You’re lucky if you can get a week off from your work (especially in Japan). So we college students should take advantage of our long inter-semester breaks and go travel the world while we can.

But the problem college students face everyday is money. Even though we have so much time and places to visit, we are forced to give up on possible adventures when we check our bank account savings.

I was also one of the many poor students who needed a good long break from Tokyo but had little money to splurge on expensive flight tickets and hotels. That’s why my best friend and I chose to go for a backpacking trip to Cambodia. Cambodia is a cheap country in Southeast Asia to get away to, but it is definitely one of the most beautiful countries with amazing beach resorts, friendly people, magnificient temples, and great food. Getting around, staying at a place, eating and all activities are extremely cheap and that is why I think Cambodia is a perfect destination for college students to spend a relaxing vacation and travelling experience.

I went up there this spring and I had so much fun that I want to share the experience I had with as many people I can. Here are some tips on travelling (or backpacking) to Cambodia.

1. Try to stay at a hostel, you’ll make friends and will get to have more fun exploring the city with a fellow traveller.

If you get a chance, stay at Mad Monkey and One Stop Hostels (both hostels are located in multiple cities in Cambodia)

2. Try to check the room of a hostel with your own eyes before booking it. (Ask the hostel receptionist to have a peek inside the room to check if theres any holes in the wall or cochroaches crawling around the floor)

3. Go during the dry season (October to April).

4. Bring bug repellant and aloe everywhere you go.

5. Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) and Phnom Penh (the capital) are the popular destination but please also go to Sihanoukville (the beach resort).

6. Never say “yes” to the price that taxi driver (tuk-tuk driver) gives you. Try to negotiate the price until 5 minute ride is about $1.

7. Try the Cambodian noodle (street food).

8. NEVER take the night bus.

To end this travel blog, I made a YouTube video to sum up the experience in Cambodia so please watch it if you have time (Subscribe for more travel vlogs)! Click on the photo below for the video!

Thank you for reading and have a great adventure!