This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Got some time to spare but not sure where you should spend it? Looking for a new spot around campus to chat your afternoon away with your BFF? On the lookout for new cafes with cakes that will titillate your taste buds? In that case, you should definitely check out Café Goto!

This quaint café is located on the second floor of Hayashi building which is a 1-minute walk away from Waseda Station. A staircase leads up to a white door with a blue sign in white print which reads Café Goto. From the exterior, the café looks tiny, but it is surprisingly roomy inside. Old wooden floorboards and wooden tables with brick walls give the interior a warm ambience, a contrast to the hum of the comings and goings on the street below.

Upon entering the shop, you will be greeted with a glass-display fridge containing various cakes. Since some cakes incorporate seasonal fruits in the ingredients, the cake menu is regularly alternated. At first glance, their cakes may lack the buttered up fancy look, but it’s got the down-to-earth, made from scratch feel, which sets this café apart from other café around the area. Their wide array of mouthwatering cake options make cake selection a tough process.

However, my way-too-frequent visits to Café Goto, have led me to try out a good majority of the items on their menu. Now, if you would allow me to introduce some of their delicious cakes.

Apricot FlanMy ultimate bias would be the apricot flan because the custard center is reminiscent of egg tarts. The firm crust and the buttered custard filling blend perfectly with the sweet and sour apricot slices. The tangy taste serves well in the hot summer!

Pound CakePound cake sounds pretty… bland? Well, let me assure you that Café Goto’s pound cake will make you think otherwise. Their pound cake is made with various dried fruit and nuts such as pumpkin seeds, almond slices, and walnut chunks. The owner cleverly tops it off with a dash of rum. The subtle liquor taste makes the cake extra sexy, if you know what I mean.  

Pumpkin PiePumpkin pies can’t get any more “pumpkin-y” than this. Take one bite and your taste buds will be overwhelmed with the perfect combination of pumpkin and cinnamon. If you have ever tried Starbuck’s seasonal edition Pumpkin Spice Latte, you’ll have a better grasp of what I’m saying. This is the pumpkin spice latte—in a solid form.

Cherry TartIf have any idea how unreasonably priced cherries are in Tokyo, you’ll know why I love Café Goto! Just look at how many darn cherries are used in this slice of tart! Let’s just say the owner has a big heart, and we should all show some appreciation.

Baked CheesecakeCheesecakes are like white-Ts. They will always be a staple item in your closet/palette and you know they can never go wrong. Goto’s cheesecake has the absolute golden ratio of cheese, whip cream, and biscuit base. Not to mention that their cheesecake is the best seller, and is often featured in magazines! Don’t tell me you like cheesecake until you’ve tried theirs.

If you’re lucky, you’ll be served fresh-out-of-the-the-oven warm cakes! That just brings Café Goto to a whole new level of awesomeness!  Oh, and did I mention that their drinks are equally good too! You should definitely check out Café Goto for some chill time sometime soon!

Address:カフェ GOTO東京都新宿区馬場下町7-3 林ビル2F 03-3207-9868

Café Goto is a proud Platinum Pink Sponsor of Her Campus Waseda.