This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

After flying through the first season in a matter of days, I knew I needed to share my love for this gem of a show. Whether you’ve been considering watching the show for a while or this is the first time you’re hearing about it, here are a few persuasive points that may give you that deciding push.

1. It’s a Historical Fiction story set in beautiful Scotland

Based on the Outlander book series by Diana Gabaldon, the TV series does an impressive job of bringing the characters to life. The first season mainly takes place in 18th century Scotland and I think it’s safe to say that you’ll never get tired of seeing the country’s natural beauty. And the Scottish accent isn’t too bad either, ye ken?

2. An exciting element of adventure

Set in 1946, post WWII, and 1743, Outlander is so much more than the usual historical drama. Headstrong Englishwoman, Claire Beauchamp, breaks the barrier between time and space, only to find herself in the middle of the fight for her life and her freedom. Not to mention a never-ending stream of sword fights, political feuds and relationship drama.

3. Make-you-fall-to-the-floor romance

The passionate love between Claire and 18th century Scotsman, Jamie Fraser, will practically set your screen on fire! *swoons*

It’s important to note that while the steamy romance is a major plus, I like the fact that the romantic scenes within the show are truly integral parts of chronicling Jamie and Claire’s ever changing relationship and are less so simply there to appease the ‘sex sells’ ideology.

4. Serious and relevant themes

From women’s rights to sexual harassment and rape, Outlander addresses various issues that continue to be relevant today and leaves no stone unturned.

5. Phenomenal acting

Starring endlessly talented actors such as Caitriona Balfe (Claire Beauchamp), Sam Heughan (Jamie Fraser) and Tobias Menzies (Frank Randall/ Black Jack Randall), the Outlander cast never fails to deliver. There were many moments throughout the show when I was completely blown away by the actors’ resilience and ability to stay true to their character through every twist and turn. I honestly couldn’t think of a better cast than this one.

Need more convincing? Check out a promotional trailer:

Season 2 has already begun and airs every weekend on Starz. You can now find Season 1 on Netflix and other streaming sites! What are you waiting for? A new adventure awaits!

Liberal Arts student obsessed with books, music, movies and all things creative. American, Japanese, and an honorary Canadian.