5 Healthy Foods That Give Your Brain a Boost

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

Did you know that certain foods can help to increase concentration, memory and even keep you alert? Don’t reach for junk food when studying! Try these healthy foods instead to enhance your brain functions!

1. Berries

Berries, espeically blueberries and acai berries, are known to enhance brain functions such as memory. Whether you eat them with yogurt or blend them into a smoothie, make sure you get some berry goodness! Not only are they delicious, but they will also help keep you sharp and alert!

2. Nuts

Nuts are very important for the health of your brain. Eating a handful of nuts everyday will help improve concentration, and boost development of brain cells.

3. Salmon

Salmon as well as tuna fish are very rich in omega-3 fatty acids which are essential to brain development. Salmon is also very rich in protein, and is thus good for people on a diet! Now who said finals season made you fat?

4. Avocado

Avocado is rich in Vitamin E which helps strengthen brain functions and improve memory. It also helps prevents age-related memory loss, and is good for your skin! Talk about killing two birds with one stone, you cna have both brains AND beauty!

5. Chocolate and Coffee

Dark chocolate is known for its high levels of antioxidants. Eating dark chocolate on the day of exams will greatly increase your concentration. Coffee on the other hand, contains caffeine. Although some people do not necessarily consider caffeine to be good for the body, caffeine even in moderate amounts can also instantly increase concentration. Of course, too much caffeine will have an adverse effect on the body so be careful not to drink too much coffee during finals season!

Good luck for finals collegiettes!