10 Oldie-but-Goodie Anime Openings/Endings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waseda chapter.

We all know that Japanese animated shows generate a lot of interest all around the globe with its innovative techniques and unique storylines, but it is also popular for its catchy opening and ending tunes. Today, anime music is a major element of Japanese pop culture and can be a deciding factor in whether or not an anime is remembered even after it ends. While modern anime has its merits, it’s important to look back and see where anime music all began and gained popularity. Here is a list of what I believe are essential oldie-but-goodie anime openings and endings that all anime lovers should know about. Enjoy!

1. Devilman- デビルマン 

Despite Devilman’s darker storyline, the magnificent opening, filled with sound effects, is worthy of any epic superhero. And it’s super catchy. 

2. Lupin the 3rd –ルパン三世

Iconic and stylish, Lupin the 3rd is an anime classic that has survived the test of time. The opening has been reimagined and arranged countless times but I think it’s safe to say that almost anyone could recognize Lupin’s theme anywhere.

3. Space Battleship Yamato -宇宙戦艦ヤマト

This is another anime that doesn’t need much of an introduction. Once you see the ship rise majestically out of the sea and the trumpets start blaring, you know what’s up. 

4. Gatchaman-ガッチャマン

I absolutely love the dramatic rumbling of the drums at the beginning of this opening sequence. Along with catchy lyrics and a groovy rhythm, this is an opening that is hard to forget.

5. Cutie Honey-キューティーハニー

Cutie Honey’s opening is a definite crowd favorite and is quick to get stuck in your head.

6. Galaxy Express 999-銀河鉄道999

The anime itself is a total classic but this ending theme is usually what comes to mind when I think about this particular show. 

7. Étoile de la Seine-ラセーヌの星 

Étoile de la Seine! It’s hard to resist shouting this out as the opening credits begin. You may even pick up some French while listening!

8. Babel II -バビル2世

This opening flows very well and may be the most karaoke-worthy theme on this list. One of my favorite things about this opening and a lot of anime openings from the 70s, is that it practically summarizes the plot of the story in the span of a minute and a half! No need to wonder what this anime is going to be about.

9. Casshern-新造人間キャシャーン

Trilling flutes, powerful trumpets, strong vocals, and Casshern flipping through the air, all of these elements come together to create the perfect anime opening. 

10. Sailor Moon- セーラームーン

This opening is a more personal selection since I was very much obsessed with Sailor Moon when I was little. Since I watched this show basically every day, the opening ringing of the bells instantly brings on the nostalgia.

Shout out to my awesome mom for introducing me to all of these anime treasures! 

Thanks for reading! :) 

Liberal Arts student obsessed with books, music, movies and all things creative. American, Japanese, and an honorary Canadian.