This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Warwick chapter.

Like many, I enjoy a good rom-com every now and then, but wouldn’t profess myself a complete lover of the genre – unless we’re specifically talking about the cultural reset that is the late 90’s / early 2000’s American rom-coms – which then, yes, I might just be a fan! However, the popular rise of streaming services (I’m looking at you, Netflix) has seen plenty of rom-coms churned out for immediate release to its audiences, taking on the now worn-out high school teen’s love life and situating it in the Gen Z era. Mind you, Gen Z are adults now!

So, you can imagine my combined scepticism and genuine intrigue following the release of the first trailer for Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell’s romantic comedy “Anyone But You”, set for an official December 2023 release. I was unsure what to make of it, given that, with a rom-com, you typically know how the narrative ends. But the movie seemed light-hearted and fun. Whether I was willing to make the trek to the cinema for it, was another question. I had never seen a rom-com in the cinema before, but the rave reviews of audiences’ upon its release had me thinking that now was as good a time as any.

I entered the cinema with a 6.5 out of 10 in mind. I left the cinema with an ecstatic 8 instead – (in hindsight, I realise 8 doesn’t sound very ecstatic but for the rom-com genre I was definitely impressed). It’s no secret that Sweeney and Powell’s chemistry translates so well on-screen, but I’m an absolute sucker for an enemies-to-lovers trope and always enjoy the niche that is “Shakespeare-based romantic comedies”. Both Sweeney and Powell, as Bea and Ben, respectively, exchange insults and witty repartee throughout; standing second best to the likes of Julia Stiles and Heath Ledger in 1999’s “10 Things I Hate About You”, which is recognised for being based on Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew”. There is something so profound about the enemies-to-lovers trope, and whilst I say that no one can do it justice the way Stiles and Ledger did, both Sweeney and Powell are committed to their on-screen chemistry and their narratives really shape the dating scene of the present day, and the difficulties that arise in defining relationships.

The humour was both verbal and physical, the unconventionally Australian beach backdrop was a visual treat – and of course, there were times where the cringe level was at an all time high. This, I thought, is how the modern-day rom-com should be. No spoilers here: but I’d definitely have to say that the Titanic scene – where Bea and Ben re-enact the famous ‘King of the World’ stance on a yacht – is one of my favourites. It really captures the spirit of an early 2000’s romcom so well whilst still maintaining the modernity of 2023.

So, if you’re curiosity is just as piqued as mine was, or, if you are indeed an actively professed lover of the rom-com genre, then “Anyone But You” certainly knows how to reach an audience. I’m definitely trying to book a trip to Australia after this!

Alicia Reandi

Warwick '24

Hi, I'm Alicia and I'm a Film and Literature student at the University of Warwick! I'm aspiring toward a career in screenwriting and you'll always catch me with an iced coffee in hand!!