Meet Our New Homecoming King and Queen, Roman Nelson and Derrica Barbee!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Chances are I’m not the first person to introduce you to Roman Nelson or Derrica Barbee. You may have met Derrica in the Pit, where she hops from table to table to greet her astonishingly large amount of friends, or maybe you met her at a Chi-O function as she was breaking it down on the dance floor with her insane dougie skills. Roman may have been your southern-hospitality-filled tour guide when you first came to Wake, or he may have helped you find your perfect study abroad program as an ambassador for the Center of International Studies. Separately, these two  pretty much cover every facet of Wake life, and together they are Wake Forest’s powerhouse duo. They co-chaired this year’s Hit the Bricks, which raised almost $27,000 for cancer research, and, of course, they are now our 2011 Homecoming King and Queen. Well-deserved crowns? You bet. These two student leaders are on a mission to make Wake, and the world, a better place.

When I sat down with the two last week, I knew that I was in for a laugh-fest. Derrica and Roman are great friends who have unexpectedly found themselves on the same path in their senior year. From Hit the Bricks, to Royalty, to a future life in the Peace Corps, these two have a lot in common and a lot to joke about.

Both are originally from small towns in North Carolina, with Derrica from Burlington and Roman from Kernersville. Home and family play a big part in each of their lives, especially for Roman, because as Derrica explained, “He’s a big ‘ole townie!”

“It’s true,” Roman replied with a dirty look and then a laugh. “My kindergarten teacher was in the audience at the homecoming game. That’s what’s weird about being from here. I see all these people I know, and they all know about my life.”

[pagebreak]

Roman’s path to Homecoming King began with a nomination through Her Campus, and his selection as a member of Homecoming Court was an overwhelming experience that he still cannot believe. “I was so surprised and excited. If you had asked me if I would be on court freshman year, I would have said hellllll no – no chance.”

So how did he feel when his name was called?

“First I didn’t really know if they said my name—it was one of those moments where you’re like, wait, what? Is that me? My cheeks hurt from smiling – I could not believe it.”

Derrica, who was nominated by Gospel Choir and Chi Omega, was just as excited for her former co-chair and good friend. “I cheered like crazy. I was pumping my fist like, ahhh Hit the Bricks fo’ lifeee!”

She was still celebrating and jumping around when they made the announcement for Queen. “I stopped for a moment—I was there, but I couldn’t hear a thing. Then Max [Jacobs, another court member] was like ‘Derrica, they called your name!’ I just started crying.”

With the images of Derrica (bawling and hugging Mrs. Hatch) and Roman (having his sash put on upside-down by President Hatch) on the big screen, the student section went crazy. People were screaming, hugging, high-fiving; I have never seen the students so happy for a new King and Queen, a testament to the impact that Roman and Derrica have made at Wake Forest.

“I saw it as, ‘We appreciate what you do, you belong here.’ And that is such an honor,” Roman said with a smile.

[pagebreak]

So what is life like now for the new monarchs? Per usual, they are spending a lot of time together, most recently emceeing the Kappa Delta Mr. and Mrs. Wake Forest competition. Due to their duo status on Wake’s campus, students have even joked to the two about a future marriage.

“It will be next summer!” Derrica said as the two double over laughing. “Before we go into the Peace Corps, we will get married.”

Although the marriage is a joke, the Peace Corps plans are not. Derrica, a communication major and entrepreneurship minor, has been planning since 9th grade to join the Corps and head to Africa. Roman’s aspirations also began in high school, and he plans to use his biology major and chemistry and health policy minors to also lend a hand in an African nation.

“A lot of people think that the Peace Corps is an alternative to college, but you need to have a bachelor’s degree, and you need to know your stuff because you are about to change people’s world, and that’s awesome,” Derrica explained.

[pagebreak]

First thing is first though; their royal homecoming duties.

“I got a free Pit swipe for being Queen,” said Derrica. “And we get to meet Kate and William next week.”

“Yup, they invited us to London; it’s not a big deal,” Roman joked back with Derrica.

They may not be having a meet-and-greet with the England royals any time soon, but these two are off to do big things. Could Wake have chosen a better duo to rule the school? Not a chance. Congratulations Derrica and Roman!

*Photography by Karleigh Ash

Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.