ZUMBA: The Perfect Workout for the Exercise Novice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

I feel that it’s necessary to say from the get-go that I’m no exercise junkie. I don’t jog around campus on the reg, and I generally avoid the stationary bikes and ellipticals at the Miller Center. I had never even attended a fitness class until my friend dragged me to Zumba.

I had been hearing a lot about this new fitness fad, and surprisingly, it sounded like fun (a word I don’t usually associate with working out). A Latin-inspired dance work-out? Sounds better than a frat party. I mean, who doesn’t want to pretend they’re Shakira? But my anxiety kicked in as my friend and I approached the Miller Center before the class, and I started imagining all kinds of worst-case scenarios involving failed “drop it like it’s hot’s.” Peace out, self-confidence.

Zumba was created in the 1990’s by dancer and choreographer Alberto “Beto” Perez. The workout includes a variety of dance styles from hip-hop to salsa, Samba to Bollywood. The fitness routine has more or less dominated the fitness class scene for the past decade or so, as it’s become a staple at nearly every gym across the country.

Once I saw the hordes of girls there for the class, I realized that this whole experience could and would be fun. There’s a reason Metabolic Effect isn’t always jam-packed – it’s super advanced! I translated popularity with positivity. I might as well have fun and throw all my insecurities out the window! Let’s say that by the end of the class, I was totally pro-Zumba! Not only did I get an amazing workout (hello, cardio), but I had a blast doing it! It’s actually fun. I felt like I was at a party amped with an excellent playlist and some rockin’ moves.

The instructor, Shea Hawkins, a third-year divinity student, kept up our enthusiasm with each song and encouraged us to loosen up and just enjoy ourselves. Her favorite part of Zumba? “Shaking my booty!”

And I would have to agree with her! Estimating that she burns around 950 calories per class, Shea holds  that people tend to love this class because it’s full of “good music and good energy.”

I wasn’t the only Zumba novice in the class. Zumba newcomer Taylor Walston loved her first Zumba class, as well.

“It didn’t feel like I was working out because I had a good time dancing and not worrying about how silly I looked,” says Taylor. But will she return? “I plan on going back every week!”

Zumba certainly has taken off within the Wake Forest community. While the class did consist of all girls, Shea assured me that it’s open and encouraged for all ages and genders. So if you feel like shaking your booty like Beyoncé or swinging those hips like Elvis, then Zumba is the class for you!  

*Photography by Karleigh Ash

Allison is a junior at Wake Forest University and is pursuing a communication major and journalism minor. She is from Libertyville, IL and is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team! Besides working on Her Campus WF, Allison is a tour guide, a member of Kappa Delta sorority, and a member of the Wake Forest chapter of Mortar Board. She would love to work in magazines after graduation next year.