Winston’s Best Restaurants: Freshmen, I’m Lookin’ at You!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

It’s that time of year again… time to return to the study rooms of the ZSR, the halls of Tribble, and the omelet line at the Pit. As much as we all hate to end our summers, Wake Forest is calling, and it’s time to start a new year with new classes, new friends, and new food.

When I first arrived in Winston Salem, NC, I never dreamed that I would dig the restaurant scene. I was so used to my gourmet staples in Dallas and never thought that a small town I hadn’t even heard of before would have so much to offer. But now, when I’m back home, you can always hear me complaining about how much I miss Carving Board, Village Tavern, Ise, etc. (Trust me, I am now a senior and am literally dreading the day when I no longer have these places in my life.) I wish someone had been there to tell me the places where I should have been eating during my first few weeks at Wake, at least so that I could have been spared from a less than desirable dinner at Carrabba’s with my mom and brother…

SO, here are my top five (in no particular order) restaurants to guide those of you who are new to Wake Forest or those who may just need a little reminder of how tasy our city really can be:

1. Best with Parents – Noble’s Grille

Now I know this might garner some backlash from all the Ryan’s lovers out there, but a steakhouse is a steakhouse is a steakhouse. Noble’s, on the other hand, is still classy but has more creative southern dishes with a modern flair. It’s a great place to take the “rents” for a solo dinner or a group one with friends. And if you happen to pop in, maybe you’ll see me waiting at the bar for my to-go order. And yes, I have brought it to the library before.

+Bonus: Noble’s puts you right near Dewey’s for an after-dinner cake square!

2. Best for After Tailgating – Elizabeth’s

I don’t care who you are, if you go to Wake Forest, you love Elizabeth’s. I can’t even count how many times I have had their Penne Vodka and can say with absolute certainty that I will be going back for more. Elizabeth’s is perfect for after football games as it is a hop, skip, and a jump away from the stadium. Plus, if you partake in tailgating activities, you will be feeling that carb-love afterwards. If you’re going Italian, go Elizabeth’s.

+Bonus: 10 points for Gryffindor if you get the creamy house Italian dressing!

3. Best Downtown Hangout – 6th and Vine

This is another place that is a great restaurant to go with parents. It is also ideal if you are 21+, due to its extensive wine menu. Besides that though, the food is amazing and it has a great vibe. Downtown Winston is cooler than it seems and 6th and Vine captures that perfectly. Order the fried goat cheese salad and you will thank me. 

+Bonus: Two words – baked brie. Have I mentioned how much I love cheese?

[pagebreak]

4. Best for Everyone – Village Tavern

Don’t try to go here over the weekend at a busy hour, because it will take forever to get a table! This establishment in Reynolda Village is always packed, which is probably because the food is so awesome. Their menu is giant and there is always something new to try if you are adventurous. It’s also really close to campus and is super easy to get to in a car or by walking. I wouldn’t recommend taking the path through the woods when it’s dark out if you are with only girls though. Then again, when does anyone ever want to take a path through the woods when it’s dark outside?

+Bonus: Order the freshly fried potato chips. The Ranch Dressing is the best I’ve ever had and the chips are to die for. Order them half soft/half crispy (they’ll know what you’re talking about).

5. Best To-Go – Carving Board

The Carving Board is a Winston Salem establishment, loved by both Wake Forest students and senior citizens. They have an entire glass case full of pre-made salad-like options, and all of them are so good! I always go for the Mexican Bowtie Pasta but you will hear much talk about the Spicy Noodles. No matter what combo I get on my three-salad plate, I am always satisfied. Plus, it is one of those places where you can convince yourself you are eating healthy even when you actually aren’t.

+Bonus: This place is so close to the Krispy Kreme on Stratford. If the “hot light” is on, always, always turn in.

So there you have it! A preliminary guide to Winston Salem eats. Stay tuned for more of our “Best Of” series this fall!

Honorable Mentions:

1. Downtown Thai – Best Asian
  2. Mozelle’s – Best Southern
  3. La Carreta – Best Mexican
  4. Fourth Street Filling Station – Best Southern
  5. Breakfast, Of Course/Mary’s Diner – Best Brunch
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.