This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

As an avid watcher of “The Bachelor,” I couldn’t hide my shock at hearing, “Oh my god, he just jumped the fence.” Colton Underwood, the famous virgin bachelor, caused a scene after Cassie ended their relationship in Portugal. I understand that it is just a reality television show, but I can’t help but want Colton to be happy.

I wanted Cassie to win from the beginning. Something about her seamlessly cool and soulful vibe got to me; I knew Colton would be attracted to the California beauty. When Cassie broke up with Colton, I was also emotional. The break-up leads to the season-long buildup of Colton jumping a very high fence. Colton confessed his love to Cassie on camera, something that isn’t generally seen on the show. He even said they didn’t have to get engaged at the end of the season, which is something he repeatedly said he wanted. Overwhelmed, he jumped over the fence and claimed he was done. In the next episode, he broke up with Tashia and Hannah G., telling them that, “He can’t love two people at the same time.” The girls are upset, and you can’t help but wonder what is going to happen next.

Cassie has always had a hard time explaining her feelings to Colton. I genuinely believe she cared for and loved him this whole time. I think Cassie didn’t know how to tell him in such a public situation. Colton knows she is “the one,” so he pursues her and asks to get back together. Thank goodness they did, because I know that I would have been so upset. Two questions remain: does Cassie love Colton and is Colton still a virgin?

Skipping forward to the final episode when we see Cassie and Colton on live television, these two questions are answered. Cassie radiates her love for Colton, and honestly, they work so well together. Chris Harrison asks about Colton’s virginity, and we can infer that the “v-card” has been taken.

“The Bachelor” (or “Bachelorette”) has such a horrible reputation for being superficial and dramatic. However, I have bonded with many people on my hall because of this show. We all camp out in the Collins lounge with our popcorn and blankets, and at every commercial break, we discuss our thoughts. This season has also shown the strength of many female contestants. Caelynn Miller-Keyes discusses the important issue of sexual assault and rape, and her experiences which have molded her character. “The Bachelor” is a way to bond with people, and you can’t disregard the crucial issues mentioned. Sadly, I will miss this season, and I genuinely hope Colton and Cassie stay together.

Jaclyn Eberting

Wake Forest '22

I don't believe that everyone just has one story to tell. We live in a complex world with many thoughts, experiences, cultures, languages and perspectives. So no, we have more than one story, and I believe it is important to share everything that embodies who we are as living, human beings. I am a freshman at Wake Forest on the Pre-Med track, hoping to major in Philosophy and Psychology with a minor in Neuroscience. I have so many stories I want to share and expand on, because I believe that stories are what allows people to connect and grow as a community as well as individuals. Stories can help us change the world.
Haley Callicott

Wake Forest '19

Haley is a current senior at Wake Forest University majoring in business and minoring in writing. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for HC Wake Forest, a member of Kappa Beta Gamma and an undergraduate advisor for the Student Advisory Board.