What You Missed This Week in News

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Have you been so busy with #WorkForest that you haven’t have any time to keep up with the news? Here is some news from this week to keep you updated and in the know…

I’m still confused about Syria…No worries, a lot of us are. So much has happened regarding how to respond to Syria this week. President Obama spoke about the matter on Tuesday to the nation but didn’t really tell us anything we didn’t already know. Now, instead of focusing on the authorization of a military strike, the US and Russia have been trying to work out a diplomatic solution. This would involve Syria handing over all of its chemical weapons to the international community. Russia came up with this idea that would prevent any sort of military strike. We’ll have to wait and see how this plays out but it might finally be the best solution to a problem that’s been raging on for several years. Possibly the best idea Russia’s had yet. 

*Photo from newsworks.org

Hawaii isn’t just for honeymooners. Governor Neil Abercrombie of Hawaii plans to call a special session of Hawaiian lawmakers for October 28th in order to vote whether to legalize gay marriage. He hopes that this will force their hand to pass a bill into law and help out those citizens in Hawaii.

Wild one. A wildfire started on Saturday afternoon in California and has been raging on several miles away from San Francisco. The fire destroyed 68 different homes already and is still not fully contained. Officials hope it will be fully contained by this Sunday.

Gimme, gimme! This Tuesday, Apple revealed the two new iPhone models, one of which is a less expensive model for those price-conscious peeps out there. The “5C” is the less expensive version, while the “5S” is the traditional Apple upgrade. The 5C will be available in multiple colors as an appeal to Apple’s younger customers. The 5S, on the other hand, is the next upgrade up from the 5 and comes with several new features, including a gold color option. It also contains a fingerprint scanner that will be used for unlocking the phone, authorizing purchases, etc. Both of the new models will be available for sales September 20th. Should be interesting considering the new software upgrade that will also be happening this fall. Apple be killin’ it. 

*Photo from theverge.com

The one that got away. Trayvon Martin’s accused and acquitted killer, George Zimmerman, has been caught up in a domestic dispute controversy this week. His wife, Shellie, filed for divorce last week and claims that Zimmerman was threatening her and her father with a gun earlier in the week. Some people just can’t stay out of the spotlight.

So no more naughty pics? The politician we all love to gossip about, Anthony Weiner, has finally conceded his race for New York major. He ended his campaign this Tuesday. Surprised he didn’t spell it out in tweets.

To infinity and beyond…The Voyager 1 spacecraft was launched over 30 years ago but scientists are just now saying that entered into interstellar space. It’s been on a tireless journey for many years but is the first man-made object to reach so far into space. Maybe it will bring us back E.T.?

Maybe he’ll get to paradise falls? A man is making the first-ever attempt to cross the Atlantic Ocean solely from the power of helium balloons. Literally straight off the screen from “Up!” he is using over 300 multi-colored balloons as an alternative to a hot air balloon. Five people have died trying to cross the Atlantic in hot air balloons so this man faces a very difficult task. Best wishes to him and hopefully he’ll make it home safe and sound. Some people are just cray. 

*Photo from theguardian.com

Say it ain’t so?!? For all you Harry Potter fans out there, get ready. J.K Rowling plans to put out a movie version of one of her Harry Potter spinoff books, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It will focus on the fictional textbook author “New Scamander” set in New York 70 years before the Potter series began. So unfortunately, no, Daniel Radcliffe & co. won’t be making an appearance…tears.

Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.