WFU Southern Belle Meredith-Leigh Pleasants Goes Global

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.
From the tiny southern town of Siler City, North Carolina, junior Meredith-Leigh Pleasants is a picture-perfect (and self-described) southern belle.

“You will never catch me wearing white after Labor Day,” jokes Meredith-Leigh. She is the ideal southern girl, from her ‘yes mams’ and ‘no sirs’ to her preppy church-with-grandma outfits, complete with a string of pearls, of course. But there is so much more to this Carolina lady than Jack Rogers and Lilly Pulitzer.

Meredith-Leigh is exhaustingly involved in several organizations on Wake’s campus. Beyond being an RA to thirty-two freshmen girls (and two boys!), she is also the president of Kappa Delta, works for Benson’s marketing department and is a student representative for the committee on student life. These days, however, she is most excited for her upcoming involvement in a Wake service trip to South Africa.

MLP has waited anxiously for this trip and has felt a “calling” to go to Africa since freshman year. “After I heard Professor Niepold give a speech about her non-profit, Nyana, I knew I had to go.” Thus, when the opportunity arose, Meredith-Leigh combined her southern charm and Wake Forest ambition into one adorable and profitable fundraiser, Bag Tags!

“Being who I am, I frequent shops that sell all things monogrammed. One day I saw a luggage tag and thought ‘I can make that.’ So I made one for myself and one for my grandma,” says Meredith-Leigh. “It was her who suggested I sell them for my trip.” From there, she created a template of designs for sale, offering to make customs tags as well “for just a little extra.”

A few months, tons of generosity and a lot of Benson Copy Center runs later, Meredith-Leigh is off to Cape Town as soon as finals are over. And as if volunteering wasn’t already enough, MLP plans to make a documentary film during the trip about her experiences and spiritual growth.

“This isn’t a mission trip, but I think it will be interesting to explore spiritual growth in a non-religious environment,” says Meredith-Leigh.

When she isn’t busy with any of her residents, sorority, Africa trip, classes (she is a communication major and a journalism and entrepreneurship double minor!), Meredith-Leigh enjoys spending time with her friends, family and boyfriend.

“It’s really hard balancing everything,” admits Meredith-Leigh. “But it is very important to be a positive influence on those around me.” Despite being so busy, MLP always has the time to talk to an acquaintance in the Pit, listen to a resident’s problem or hang out with her friends.

So the next time you see a southern belle with a strand of pearls and a smile for
everyone, make sure to introduce yourself to Miss Meredith-Leigh Pleasants.

Kelsey Garvey is a junior English major at Wake Forest University. Her upbringing in Connecticut, otherwise known as country club land, inspired her to write in order to escape and locate something more. Writing has also acted as her outlet to dabble in subjects far beyond her my intellectual capacity: art, culture, design, fashion, photography, and music. Other than reading Vogue and Vanity Fair cover-to-cover, Kelsey enjoys frequenting the blogosphere, speaking franglais in daily conversation, and laughing at her own pathetic jokes. Feel free to email her with any questions or comments.