Wake 101: Football Frenzy to a Basketball Blast, How to Have a Crazy Time Courtside

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

Calling all my super spirited collegiettes! As many of y’all have probably already noticed, the girls on campus have pulled out the classic Wake Forest “legging and Ugg boot” combination and boys have grudgingly traded their Sperry topsiders for Timberlands. These annual wardrobe changes mean one thing to all Wake Forest students: the winter season is upon us. This means that its time for us to switch out our game day Lilly Pulitizer sundresses and throw on those Old Gold & Black spirit jerseys because (drum roll please) it’s basketball season! While tailgating may not be as big a scene for Wake basketball games compared to football games, there are a plethora of stellar winter season perks that you must experience. Therefore, I encourage you to come out this winter and support our dedicated Deacs on the court.

Jam in the Joel

Don’t let the chilly temperature keep you inside your dorm room or the Pit cheering on the team! Go to the arena and experience the energy of the gym, which will be full of music, food, and fun. It’s a new sport, so let’s switch to a new arena. The Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum, home of our Wake Forest basketball team and commonly known as “The Joel,” is a magnificent stadium and an overwhelming sight for the opposing team when filled to the brim with passionate screamin Demons and Wake fans galore. If you did not make it to President’s Ball this year, which took place at The Joel, now is your chance to not only catch a clutch game, but to also experience the wondrous world within a new venue.

*Image from AllPosters.com

Celebration on the Court

Make sure you stay for the whole game because you will not want to miss out on the half time show brought to you by the dangerously fierce Wake Forest Dance Team and Cheerleading Team. Basketball season is truly their time to shine in a stadium that allows you to witness their talents up close as they present their latest stunts and moves to a crowd that will be roaring with support, especially with you in the stands! They also do a phenomenal job of making the game an outrageously crazy time for all fans by including us in the fun with their Wake basketball t-shirt toss. You may have caught a Wake football shirt in the BB&T t-shirt giveaway, but your wardrobe is nothing without a brand new Nike Demon Deacon Basketball tee.

Game Night Out

Since many of the basketball games will take place in the evening, why not make a night of it? Grab your best friends and go get dinner off campus together before the game or stop by Brynn’s Frozen Yogurt on Stratford Road after Wake wins for a late night sweet treat.

*Image from USA Today

Our Wake Forest Basketball team is already blazing their trail to victory. Having won their first three games against Brevard, Colgate, and VMI all they are missing is you cheering in the stands to keep them going strong. Grab your Old Gold pom pom, stick that “WF” sticker on your cheek, and embrace the college basketball season courtside at The Joel with a nice and loud, “Go Deacs!”

Go Deacs! :)
Cassie Brown

Wake Forest

Editorial Campus Correspondent. Former Section Editor for Campus Cutie. Writer for Her Campus Wake Forest. English major with a double minor in Journalism and Communication. Expected graduation in May 2014.