The Top 10 Quintessential Wake Forest Traditions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

When I started looking at colleges, I knew I wanted to attend a school where I felt like a part of a larger family. I wanted that history that grandchildren can still recall at the drop of a hat. And when I came to Wake as a freshman, these traditions became mine as well. I no longer felt a loyalty to my parents’ alma mater because I now had one to call my own. But as I became more involved on campus and “Work Forest” proved to be reality, I began to take those things for granted. And it has taken me until my junior year to begin to appreciate the unique experiences that I so admired when I first stepped foot onto this campus.

So as football season begins to wind down and Wake (hopefully) heads to a bowl game, I’ve decided to share some of that school pride by dishing on the top 10 quintessentially Wake Forest traditions. So here are the top reasons I love being a Demon Deacon!

10. Wake ‘N Shake

What’s more fun than a 12-hour dance marathon? Just think of it as frat dancing for 12 hours. Yes please! Though you may find it difficult to stand and/or dance for that long a time, all the money raised during the event supports cancer research through the Brian Piccolo Cancer Fund!

9. Homecoming Bonfire

This sacred tradition brings together students, athletes and alumni to kick off the Homecoming weekend festivities! Whether you’re keeping warm with a hot cup of apple cider or posing with friends for Dean Shore, you’re sure to enjoy watching the opposing team’s mascot go down in flames!

8. A Class of the Finest

This senior tradition takes place during the last home football game of the season. The school puts on a cocktail party for all of the seniors and provides free food and drinks. It’s a classy way for the seniors to say goodbye to Deacon football as undergrads.

7. Moravian Love Feast

Never again will you see Wait Chapel lit up by thousands of candles as participants sing carols and nibble on sweet rolls and coffee. It’s a truly breathtaking ceremony that helps you put everything in perspective during the stressful finals week.

6. Shag on the Mag

For someone not from the South, I was extremely confused about what the term “shagging” actually means. Turns out, this style of dance inspires live swing music, a plethora of sundresses and a first taste of spring, all in one jam-packed night of fun on the Mag Quad.

5. The Fight Song

Wake students know that no matter if we win or lose, our fight song can be heard from the inside of the Coliseum to the top of Wait Chapel. Thank goodness Screamin’ Demons made a shirt one year with the lyrics on the back … otherwise, I never would have learned the words.

4. Hit the Bricks

As another fundraiser for the Brian Piccolo Cancer Fund, Hit the Bricks gets hearts pumping as students run around the upper quad to raise money. Nearly every organization on campus participates and this year, it turned out to be a perfect sunny day for a run (or marathon)!

3. Project Pumpkin

Do you remember when you were younger and the thought of getting all that candy at Halloween made you want to burst with excitement? Well Project Pumpkin is a way for us to pay it forward to the Winston-Salem community as Wake students escort around 1,500 local kids trick-or-treating on campus.

2. Lighting of the Quad

Along with the Moravian Love Feast, the lighting of the Quad really gets me in the holiday spirit. Students and faculty come together outside Reynolda Hall to sing holiday songs, listen to readings and watch as the campus Christmas tree and lights surrounding the Quad are lit. It’s a beautiful sight and one made even more special if there’s a little snow dusting the ground.

1. Rolling of the Quad

Drumroll please! My favorite tradition at Wake Forest, and probably the most well-known, is the rolling of the Quad after a Wake Forest win. No matter the sport, if Wake snags a major victory, the upper quad gets covered with toilet paper. I remember rolling the Quad alongside the entire campus after Wake won in the NCAA Basketball tournament. It looked as if it had snowed, and the entire student body cheered as everyone grabbed any and all toilet paper they could find. Rolling the Quad is certainly a tradition that every Wake student should experience at least once!

So there you have it, my top 10 favorite Wake Forest traditions! If these don’t create a sense of pride in our school, I don’t know what would! Savor these traditions and participate in them as much as you can because our 4 years at Mother So Dear are sure to fly by.

*Photography by Dean Shore and Allison Cacich

Allison is a junior at Wake Forest University and is pursuing a communication major and journalism minor. She is from Libertyville, IL and is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team! Besides working on Her Campus WF, Allison is a tour guide, a member of Kappa Delta sorority, and a member of the Wake Forest chapter of Mortar Board. She would love to work in magazines after graduation next year.
Jackie Swoyer is a rising senior at Wake Forest University majoring in Business and Enterprise Management, concentrating in Marketing and minoring in Economics. While her collegiate years have been spent in the Carolinas, this aspiring marketer currently calls Cincinnati, Ohio home...although she has spent years moving all over the country and beyond (including a five year period in Europe!). She is currently prepping for a summer internship in the Frito Lay Marketing Division in Plano, Texas, a new stop on her geographical repertoire. An avid reader of all things Her Campus, Jackie also loves to write, listen to Pandora, practice her cooking skills, and find live music anywhere she can.