taylor swift jack antonoff anti
taylor swift jack antonoff anti
Republic Records

Thirteen Ways to Celebrate the Release of 1989 (Taylor’s Version)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wake Forest chapter.

With the release of 1989 (Taylor’s Version) on October 27th, here are some ways to celebrate in “Style.”

1. Bake some Taylor Swift themed treats. The fall release of 1989 (Taylor’s Version) makes it the perfect time to bake Swift’s famous chai cookies. There are countless versions of the recipe online, but here is one for you to start with from JoyTheBaker. The “Blank Space” music video is also known for its iconic heart cake, which you can learn how to make for yourself ​​here
  2. Go on a date with your friends. The 1989 era was defined by Swift’s iconic girl squad, so grab your friends and plan some fun activities together. Thankfully, you will probably get less paparazzi attention than Swift when she goes on these outings herself. 
  3. Take some Polaroid pictures. Not only is the original album famous for its Polaroid cover, but Polaroids also get a mention in “Out of the Woods.”
  4. Binge-watch guest performances from the 1989 tour. At each show of the 2015 tour, Swift would bring out a new famous guest with whom she would perform one of their songs. Some of my favorite guests include Fifth Harmony, Ricky Martin, Little Mix, and Idina Menzel (the latter of whom Swift sang with while dressed as Olaf from Frozen).
  5. Try a new makeup look. Swift is known for her signature red lip and eyeliner, so why not experiment with this look for a night out or a 1989 (Taylor’s Version) listening party?
  6. Learn some 1989-themed choreography. With Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour now in theaters, you can take notes on this era’s choreography from your seat and then practice it at home. 
  7. Watch a Kansas City Chiefs game. Listen, while I personally love seeing Swift rocking cute gameday outfits and cheering on Travis Kelce from his box, you should also watch the Chiefs simply because they are a great football team. But in between some great football, blast 1989 (Taylor’s Version) during the commercial breaks.
  8. Go on a drive. 1989 is full of driving references, whether it is the “long drive” in “Style,” the “drive out of the city” in “Wildest Dreams,” or spending “2 AM in your car” in “I Wish You Would,” now is the perfect time to take that scenic drive you’ve been thinking about. Not to mention, you’ll have some great music to listen to on the way. 
  9. Try a 1989-themed workout. Start out on the treadmill with a slower paced song like “Wildest Dreams,” work yourself up to running during songs like “Wonderland” and “Shake It Off,” and finish by strutting it out to “Style.”
  10. Analyze the lyrics of the vault tracks. We all remember where we were when “All Too Well (10 Minute Version)” dropped, and our lives were changed with new soul-splitting lyrics. I can’t wait to see what new gems 1989 (Taylor’s Version) brings us. My bets are on “Suburban Legends” being brilliant. 
  11. Get Starbucks. Who could forget the infamous “Blank Space” lyric mixup in which millions of fans thought Swift sang about “lonely Starbucks lovers?” Even though these are not in fact the lyrics, treat yourself to some Starbucks nonetheless.
  12. Enter a new era of your life. To me, 1989 is all about living your life for you and surrounding yourself with people who enrich your life. In “New Romantics,” for instance, Swift sings, “’Cause, baby, I could build a castle/Out of all the bricks they threw at me.” So, stop worrying about the bricks some people may be throwing, and instead embrace the lyric, “The best people in life are free.”
  13. Stream the album! This may seem obvious, but supporting Swift’s re-recordings is not just a chance to listen to amazing music and relive past eras, but also to support a woman reclaiming what is rightfully hers. While it is easy to look back now at the re-recordings as a huge success after the monumental Eras Tour and its subsequent movie, Swift said herself she was not sure how popular they would be, and the media agreed. Many outlets questioned the necessity of the re-recordings or if people would care. To all my fellow Swifties out there, “I Wish You Would” stream 1989 (Taylor’s Version) and show once again that Swift “never go(es) out of style.”
Kenley McClure

Wake Forest '27

Hi! My name is Kenley McClure and I am a freshman at Wake Forest University. I am from Charlotte, North Carolina also known as the Queen City. Most of the time, you can find me making or buying coffee, expanding my earring collection, dancing, or taking pictures with a disposable camera!